cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view the content (contained objects) of transport files without importing?

helmut_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

we do often receive transport files (DATA and CODILE) from third parties.

If is is done correctly the supplier of the transport files devliver also additional information about the detailed content of the transport, e.g object lists as plain text file, so that we are informed which objekts will be imported in advance.

But some suppliers don't. Or we want only check, if additional info and real transport content match.

So for that reason  I am looking for a possible way to view the object list of such transports without adding it to the import queue or importing it to a sandbox system or even add it to the import buffer..

Most likely this should be done by a standalone tool (on Windows) or a tool running on SAP accessing the transportfiles (preference: stored only on the client PC  and not added to the transport directory)

So my question is: Is there any tool that can extract the object list from the transport files and display it?

Helst regards

Helmut Fischer

JandeMooij
Explorer
0 Kudos

helmut.fischer I know it's been 5 years but I'm wondering if you were able to solve this ? I've also seen that even a 'testimport' with TMS_MGR_IMPORT_TR_REQUEST does not fill the E071K entries, but neither does it provide details of the keys that are about to be imported. Any advice would be much appreciated !

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jason_oriordan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Matt Fraser gives the best option above, but another alternative from the command line is

tp cmd <tr> <sid> pf=<path_to_transport_profile>.

If you are unclear of pf= value - just take it from the ULOG in DIR_TRANS/log.

This will populate the E07* tables and you can view the object list directly in E071K (table)
or just open the transport via SE01, SE09 or SE10 and view the object list.

Regards,
Jason

helmut_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

You wrote: this will populate the E07* tables. That#s exact the problem.

I don't want anything to go to any SAP system, before I know what it is.

Therefore I asked for an external tool.

So up  to now none of the answers solves the kernel of my problem, but anyway thanks for the answers.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

There is a command-line option which should give you what you are looking for. If you log on to the console of your transport host (or transport domain controller -- often but not always your DEV system), and open a command prompt, you should be able to use the 'tp' tool to get information about requests. Specifically use 'tp getobjlist <request#> pf=<tpparamfile>'. For instance, if you set your directory focus to \usr\sap\trans\bin, and your TP parameter file is 'tp_domain_dev.pfl', and the request in question is SIDK910101, then the command would be 'tp getobjlist sidk910101 pf=tp_domain_dev.pfl'.

Regards,

Matt

helmut_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Matt,

If there will be no other tool, I will use this command, but this requires access (logon) to the server on which one of our SAP systems run. There is the problem, that this access on OS level is restricted to very few persons. My job is developer, so that I do not have such access, another one has to execute this. So this will work, but is no quick way to get the information.

I hope this version of the tp command does not add anything to the tabels of the SAP system server it is run on (see reply to Jason).

jason_oriordan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Helmut,

Only tp can read the data file and tp is an SAP executable on OS level.
You have to do this on OS level (if not the SAP system itself via RSBDCOS0), which means
logon to the server on which one of the SAP systems run (as you point out yourself).

As I said Matt's option is the best one and you should go with that since my alternative will populate tables on SAP level.

Regards,
Jason

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Helmut,

If you don't have access to the server console, it might be possible to 'trick' tp into working from a workstation, but I wouldn't bet on it. You'd have to fake up a profile for it. I haven't tried this.

Peering into the contents of a delivered transport file would be something that your Basis team would typically do. My suggestion is to work with them, either to use tp command-line option from the server console, or if that's not reasonable, then yes, go ahead and add it to the import queue of one of your sandbox systems. You can always delete it from the queue again later. If you don't actually import it, it isn't going to hurt anything.

To do any of these options is going to require some level of filesystem access to your transport host, as you need to copy the two files that make up the transport there. You need to put the 'K' file into \usr\sap\trans\cofiles and the 'R' file into \usr\sap\trans\data. Then, you can either use the tp command-line tool, or you can go into STMS, go into the import queue of any system in the transport domain (so a sandbox is fine), and use Extras... Other Requests... Add and type in the transport request ID. Yes, this adds some entries about the transport into a few tables, but it doesn't actually import the transport, and it doesn't change anything about your system. It just allows the transport to show up as importable in the queue, and that will make it so that you can read the object list of the transport. Then, if you decide not to import it, you can delete it from the queue, and your system is back to the way it was before. Also, doing this will not put the transport into any other system's queue. Even if you import the transport (into a sandbox system), it won't show up in any other system's queue until you forward it.

Regards,

Matt

helmut_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I am aware of all that you said and I know how to do all this - in fact I for myself currently also have sufficient authorizations to do all this, but that all is no option for some of my coelleagues, which do not have these authorizations, but have the need to have a look into transport contents.

Therefore the target of my request was a standalone tool which might simply work on workstation level under Windows - quick and uncomplicated.

But nevertheless all your information might be helpful for some other users.

Best Regards, Helmut

magexposito
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Heimut,

As far as I know there is no tool or application that you can use for this purpose. May I ask why you don't want to add the order to the transport queue?

Best regards.

helmut_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Migueal,

I do not want to add the transport to the buffer, because this is an action done on at least one of our systems in use (PRD is tabu, even DEV, QAS oder Sandboxes have sepcial purposes and tracking of actions). Unfortunately we do not have any 'Playgroud-System' for such purposes.

For that reason I am looking for an external (means non SAP system) Tool.

That's the simple reason. Just to have a quick look at the contents.