cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerBuilder 12.5 suddenly stopped working

0 Kudos

Dear Members,

I am currently using PowerBuilder 12.5.0. Suddenly it stopped working and says "Sybase PowerBuilder 12.5 has stopped working...."

The event viewer says the following..

Faulting application name: PB125.EXE, version: 12.5.0.2511, time stamp: 0x4e114b2a

Faulting module name: PBSYS125.dll, version: 12.5.0.2511, time stamp: 0x4e114b19

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00022667

Faulting process id: 0x460

Faulting application start time: 0x01d02ffb19585477

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Sybase\PowerBuilder 12.5\PB125.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\PBSYS125.dll

Report Id: 580aad7c-9bee-11e4-aa55-6c626d766fcd

I am unable to uninstallation / repair as it raise error.

Kindly help me to solve this issue

Thanks & Regards,

Sankar Ganesh S

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar;

May I suggest you try ....

1)  Uninstalling PB 12.5

2)  Running REGEDIT performing a Find on the value "12.5".

3)  If the Find encounters anything PB 12.5 related - then delete that registry entry.

4)  Make sure any PB 12.5 libraries are removed from your System Path

5)  Reboot

6)  Install PB 12.5 again

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are their system paths different from yours?  Do a search for PB*125.dll across your C: drive and see if you have mismatched DLL files laying around.  Off chance this is it, but one more thing to check.

0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I could open the powerbuilder from a different login in the same system. But my login still has the same problem. Kindly help to open PB through my login.

Thanks & Regards,

Sankar Ganesh S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sankar,

We had a customer that had a similar problem with one of their users and Infomaker.  They tried cleaning up her profile, but it still didn't help.

They determined the issue had to do with some third party software that they used to keep track of user profiles and even though they cleaned it up there was still a corrupted piece in the registry.

Not sure if this is your problem, but thought I would toss it out there as another possibility of where to look.

Ted Zimmerman

Former Member
0 Kudos

What about running a registry cleaner, like AusLogics or CCleaner?  They both offer free versions.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
What about running a registry cleaner, like AusLogics or CCleaner? 

For what it's worth, I would highly recommend against that.  We've had a number of systems rendered largely inoperable by CCleaner removing stuff it though wasn't in use and actually was.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sankar,
If Chris' suggestion to delete the Layout key doesn't work try add or editing the following line in the pb.ini file:

ReopenWorkspace=0

The pb.ini file should be the one in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Sybase\PowerBuilder 12.5

Ted Zimmerman

0 Kudos

Hi Ted,

Tried your solution. It did not help me to resolve. Waiting for other solutions...

Thanks & Regards,

Sankar Ganesh S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, one other way I've seen this happen...  you will love this one, very obscure...  If you have an expression in a datawindow that calls a global function that calls a method in a global autoinstantiated object and that method accidently causes an infinite loop calling itself...  SYSTEM WILL GO BOOM!!!

More than likely, this is not you case. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> If you have an expression in a datawindow that calls a global function that calls a method in a global autoinstantiated object and that method accidently causes an infinite loop calling itself<<

And you should immediately be fired for even contemplating this kind of software architecture...

In fact, I'd call a halt after the first two steps > an expression in a datawindow that calls a global function... There's always a better way.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Debugging that is about as fun as something with the timer on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Strongly disagree with your statement " In fact, I'd call a halt after the first two steps > an expression in a datawindow that calls a global function... There's always a better way.".  Global functions most definitely have a place in DW expressions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul;

Sorry .. I'm with Terry on this one and have to completely disagree with your comment. I have been doing these type of DW=>FN=>Obj calling since PB 2/3 and never had any issues. I have also seen hundreds of PB applications that have DWO's that call global functions. Without this many DW implementations would not have been possible.

Like in any language (PowerScript included) - its often the way it was coded breaking good development practices that does your application in. 

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've seen this happen when setting breakPoints in OLE controls, specifically the commercial version of TX Text Control (meaning not the version shipped with PowerBuilder).  If this happened shortly after or during the setting breakPoints, delete your "target".usr.opt file and it will clear the GPF.

"target" means the actually name of the target in your workspace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar;

Can you try:

1) Run REGEDIT

2)  Delete the registry entry for ...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\12.5\Layout

3) Restart PB 12.5.

Regards ... Chris

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Tried the same... But it did not help to resolve the issue. Still waiting for someone to help.

Regards

Sankar Ganesh S