Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create virtual host for SAP High availability system

former_member214873
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Mentors

Please help us create the  virtual hostname

Virtual hostname I required for global host preparation in sap high availability environment

Operating system : windows server 2012 R2

Database : Sybase ASE

The virtual host is required for ASCS instance

Before starting SWPM while  first node installation

I was using option sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=baseprd

I maintained hostname in DNS server also

I maintained host file also, c:\windows\system32\etc\hosts

But installation master throwing a error the specified network path is not available

I maintained virtual host name in DNS server also, when I was try to ping the given IP address .

the ip ping reply as message unable to reach destination message

but if  I execute nslookup with ip address

it is giving domain name server Host name , IP address and with baseprd.besc.in & IP addresseagrds

I already referred the sap notes

1565274 & 1282975

please provide steps to create virtual hostname.

Thanks

Regards

Sudheer k

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudheer

Before starting the SWPM you can create the Virtual name for SAP instance in Failover Cluster. Kindly follow the steps:

1. Go to "Failover Cluster Management" - select the Cluster - Service and Application -

2. Create the new "Create Empty Service or Application" (Example SAP SID) -

3. Select group (SAP SID) - right click - Add a resources as mention the below snapshot. -

4. Select the 1. Client access point - Define the virtual name & IP address

when you start the SWPM from command prompt use the command   SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=(Virtual Name )

BR

SS

former_member214873
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sriram

I created in the same manner

I created Role SAP SID (or services and applications) in fail over cluster manager

I give the SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME= virtual host name

While providing the entries in SWPM

SAP SYSTEM SID, Virtual host name (or network name), Network , and shred disk selection

SWPM thrown an error, the given Virtual host name is already maintained in SAP SID role.

Thanks

Regards

Sudheer k

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

After created the virtual host are you ping the host from another system by virtual host and ip address?

BR

SS

former_member214873
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram

Yes, i can able to ping  IP Address and host name.

But While providing the entries in SWPM

SAP SYSTEM SID, Virtual host name (or network name), Network , and shred disk selection

SWPM thrown an error, the given Virtual host name is already maintained in SAP SID role.

Thanks

Regards

Sudheer k

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. Please delete the virtual hostname and let SWPM  installs it.

I faced such kind of problem and I just deleted the virtual hostname in the MSCS Failover management and it worked.

Take a screenshot for future use before deleting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best things is to use a current SWPM version and read the installation guide carefully!

SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME

parameter must not be used in current MSCS installations!

If you need to prepare a Cluster Role/Group it is documented in the installation guide otherwise SWPM will create it. SWPM will missbehave if a Cluster Group or Cluster Resource he intents to create already exists.

regards

Peter

former_member214873
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Vimal/Peter

Thanks for reply

I  created cluster role like SAP SID

I give SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=virtual host name , before continuing SWPM

But While providing the entries in SWPM 

i deleted Cluster role SAP SID, and i continued SAP installation.

whether it is correct method  to created  virtual host name for global host preparation.

please verify this sap note also

962955 - Use of virtual or logical TCP/IP host names

On UNIX, additional IP addresses for network adapters are addressed for the adapter, for example, via eth0:1 or lan0:1. For more details, refer to the ifconfig Manual Pages.
    1. 3. Register a new host name for the IP address in the DNS servers or in the /etc/hosts file

Example:

<ip1>  physhost.domain. corp  physhost

<ip2>  virthost1.domain. corp  virthost

If you only use the hostst file, you must enter the information on all servers that are to use the new virtual host.

You can test the IP addresses <-> TCP/IP host name resolution by using the SAP tool niping with the following syntax:

niping -v -H <virthost>

In the output, you will find the resolutions TCP/IP host name -> IP address (NiHostToAddr) and IP address -> TCP/IP host name (NiAddrToHost) of the local host name and of the transferred host name <virthost>. The result for NiAddrToHost for the IP address of <virthost> must correspond again to the transferred host name <virthost>.

Note 799428 describes where you can find the latest version of niping.

Thanks

Regards

Sudheer k

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can not remember that in the current installation guide for the Windows Failover Cluster you are ask to prepare a Globalhost?

The Windows Failover Cluster is acting as a global host - just install the system on the Failover cluster that's it.

please read the guide - everything you need for the failover cluster installation is described.

regards

Peter

former_member214873
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Peter

I verified installation it is clearly saying SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME is not required

after maintaining  hostname and ip address in DNS server our issue is solved.

I started SWPM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

May i know how can we perform changes to the Network Name (SAP Virtual Instance Host)?

Thanks

BM

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the system is running in a Windows Failover Cluster configuration:

• you have to perform a system copy. There is currently no tool which performs a rename for this system.

If the system is not running in a Windows Failover Cluster configuration:

• use the SWPM System Rename Tool.