cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking IP address before final registration???

Former Member
0 Kudos

After seeing so many threads on point hunters...i cant help wonder why cant we have a mechanism to check for IP address just before the final registration process and if the IP address already exists...then the user be prompted with a mssgs that our record shows an id already exists with ur ip..and be redirected to forgot password screen..

or just a threat message on the sign up screen.."if we encounter mulitiple(pseudo) account logins we shall permanently ban the ip address" should do the trick to some extent.

lastly, i have heard of VBulletin software which addresses similar issues...(especially with regards to shared network and AOL users)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

abesh
Contributor
0 Kudos

To deter flooding of forums, maybe the IP can be cached for a short duration of time, say half an hour ? During that period, forum posts(questions) from that IP will not be possible and after the required time period has passed he will be able to post again. A message like "You have just posted a question, wait for sometime to post one more !" should be good enough ? what say ?

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Eddy already mentioned, it cannot work.

My client is a conglomerate of a lot of companies and all are routed internally via the same firewall. So it's quite possible that user A at company X in China appears to use the same IP (registered in in New York) as user B at company Y in Brazil. How are you going to patrol that?

What is possible is to check whether users with the same IP are registering the same company, but then again I'm not too sure what to do with that info. I've already suggested that perhaps the , but that's another story.

Cheers,

Mike

abesh
Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand you point that's why I suggested temporary caching in the first place. Waiting 15/30 mins (caching period) before posting a question should not be a big inconvenience, or in that case what about caching the <b>username, IP</b> combo and not let the same username from the same IP flood the forum ?

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We could do the following, provided that there's a list of users with their IP address.

If we encounter bad behaviour (point hunters, or posting copyrighted material). You could block / delete the user and send a message to all of the other users with the same IP address, that SDN has blocked user X due to <reason>.

That way it stays in the community and could also prevent others from abusing this forum.

Kind regards, Rob Dielemans

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

...which would make the whole IP thing pointless and you can just block the user - unless of course the user has 5 machines available on different public IPs

On the other hand I like the idea of a maximum number of open questions per user (5?).

The best however is if people would simply not respond, sadly there are over-helpful souls who will waste time writing paragraphs in response to impossibly vague and unrealistic questions.I simply refuse to answer people who show quite clearly that they can't be bothered to type the keywords into the help.

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you think at consultants who often have to work with different computers at different customers?

And besides: Point hunters could choose an Internet Café for registration.

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what about saving the IP-Adress in each forum posts in the background?

When question and rewarded answer in the same thread comes from the same IP you maybe have caught a hunter

(with the exception eddy has mentioned,but that could be also possible point hunting)

Regards

Frank

Message was edited by:

Frank Brackmann

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think that corporate firewalls and routers are more the rule than an exception. Since a lot of contributions are done from with a company network, I wonder if you can catch anyone without disturbing the real contributions.

Eddy

-

PS. Reward the useful answers and you will get <a href="http:///people/baris.buyuktanir2/blog/2007/04/04/point-for-points-reward-yourself">one point</a> yourself!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

That would be good, if there is a delay (for example 12,24 hours) till the registration email arrives after the new user's registration, into the users mailbox.

Maybe the wait will reduce the huge amount of fake users.

Regards

Tamá

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

That won't work for people working in the same company having a company firewall or router and thus the same IP address.

Eddy

-

PS. Reward the useful answers and you will get <a href="http:///people/baris.buyuktanir2/blog/2007/04/04/point-for-points-reward-yourself">one point</a> yourself!