cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Homogeneous System Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are deploying a Production CRM Distributed System on SQL Server. We did a fresh install back on 2013 of the development system, and after applying SPs we took a DB backup of the updated system. We save that backup for deploy QAS and finally PRD.

Now, we are installing PRD System with Homogeneous System Copy and distributed installation. The problem is that the Software Provisioning Manager we use for the other two installations don´t let us choose the destination drive for the Kernel files of the Database Instance. It seems that the sapinst is choosing a drive letter by itself. I need to change that destination drive and the sapinstgui don´t show me the option!!!

I´, using SWPM1.0 sp3. New SWPM (SP07) doesn´t have EHP3 for CRM 7.0 component and the option for destination drive is not shown anyway.

Is there any way to choose destination drive by modifying some xml control file, o something?

Regards,

A.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I managed to solve the problem with Benjamin Reagan suggestion. It seems that spinst chek for biggest drive and then picks up that drive as "Destination Drive".

I modified keydb.xml and inifile.xml.

In keydb.xml you need to modify this values:

- "saploc" and "sapmnt" in t_NW_Options section.

- "sapDrive" in t_NW_Systems

- "sapdrive" in t_pd

In inifile.xml you need to modify "sapdrive" value in t_pd section.

Thanks for all of you.

Regards,

A.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

Do you want to change directory

\\msp1201\sapmnt\ to \\msp1203\sapmnt ??

Regards,

V Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivasan Vinayagam,

I don´t want to change that directory. Sapinst created a usr/sap directory in the Drive where i put de database files.

This "usr/sap" directory contains CCMS, SAPSID, PRFCLOG subdirectories.

I found this http://scn.sap.com/thread/3550316. The difference is that there is no option in my sapinst steps for DB instance that let me choose the drive.

Maybe this are just "dumb directories" and i can delete it safely.

Regards,

A.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wouldn't do that. These are used by the SAP Host Agent and/or Diagnostics Agent for monitoring by Solution Manager Diagnostics.

At the end of the day, these really aren't a big consumer of disk I/O or storage space, so I wouldn't worry excessively about it.

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

The SAPEXE directory common for all Instance.

do not change.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Select the Drive which is available in SWPM

Continue to the next step and close the installer

Now check the entry in the keydb.xml and modify it. (Backup a copy before you modify it)

Start sapinst and continue with the old option.

At the final screen "Summary" before the installation check if the new drive is taken by sapinst.

If the new drive is not taken by sapinst then try to modify it there by marking the "check box"

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

SAPEXE directory is common directory for all instance, Central Instance, Database Instance, and Dialog instance.

Why you want to change this directory?

\\hostname\sapmnt is common for all instance.

sapinst take this directory from profiles.

This is not SWPM or sapinst issue.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

The sapinst takes from Profile which given by you.

Why you want to change the executable directory?

The distributed environment sap executable are pointing the shared sapmnt directory only which central instance located.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I alredy tried with latest version of SWPM, but it has only sr1 and sr2 for EHP3 for CRM 7.0. That doesn´t work with my current kernel (EHP 3 for CRM 7.0). New verison of swpm don´t show me the instalation destination drive neither.

Maybe this config (destination drive) is in some control.xml or similar file... i couldn´t found it. I install ACSC first, but when need to install and select profile directory in DB instance installation, there is no option for destination drive.

ASCS Installation

DB Instalation

Regards,

A.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres

Could you refer the SAP Note

1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP07

BR

SS

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres

Check this link -

BR

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you distributing the system all on the same host? If you have already installed the ASCS on this host, and now are separately installing the DB instance on the same host, it is not going to give you an option for the drive for \usr\sap because you already have a \usr\sap folder.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

are you getting error as mentioned in below screen shot?

I hope you have installed the ASCS installation first before starting the Central instance installation.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

This question isn't really about SQL Server, but about SWPM, so it would probably do better in the space.

Are you using the same version of SWPM that you used to copy your source system to your QAS instance? Did it give you the option to choose the drive for kernel installation then? If you are using the same versions of everything and the same procedure, you should see the same results in PRD that you saw in QAS.

Most likely you ticked the option at the beginning for "Standard Installation" instead of "Custom Installation." I believe the standard will try to install on the C: drive, which is one reason to always choose a custom installation.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I am using the same version of everything, but the procedure for PRD is "Distributed System". DEV and QAS are Central Systems. That´s the difference. I am using "Custom Install".

Regards,

A.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi A

Try to use the latest version SWPM. and also could you share the error log or snapshot ...

BR

SS