cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find custom tables in HANA after upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

we have created custom tables in HANA Studio and after upgrade we don't see these tables in HANA.

Does custom tables get's deleted after upgrade or this is because of System restart?

Is there any guide or blog post which details the behaviour of custom tables in HANA.

Regards,

Raj

Message was edited by: Tom Flanagan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

it is not normal that customer tables get deleted (at least to my knowledge ;-D) as part of database upgrade...

can you maybe provide more details? what was revision before upgrade, what revision you upgraded to, what tables are we talking about - which schema was used, were these tables manually created by some user or they belong to BW or ERP schema, etc...

are you absolutely sure they were deleted? maybe you just do not have access anymore...

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

These custom tables are created by user on HANA Studio, they exist in same schema of ECC tables and they are of clumn type.

I have upgraded from Rev 83 to SPS09 and then to Rev 91

I have all access on this system.

Regards,

Raj

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

can you also run following statement (if you are on multitenant setup then run in each tenant):

SELECT * FROM SYS.OBJECTS WHERE OBJECT_NAME='<name of your table>'

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tomas,

Below is the output of the SqL statement

Regards,

Raj

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

I see you are using uper/lower case names - can you please run this query instead?

SELECT * FROM SYS.OBJECTS WHERE UPPER(OBJECT_NAME)='FISCAL_DATE'

Do you have create statement you used while you were creating this table?

Also - do you have some other system where you did same (for example quality or production which was not yet upgraded) - can you run that select statement there as well?

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

I have executed SQL statement on QA system and was able to find the table.

I have used HANA Studio to create table.

Does restarting the HANA system deletes custom tables?

Regards,

Raj

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

system restart should not delete any tables - that would be seen as defect...

is QA from "before upgrade"? or it was upgraded and table was gone...

can you share the what was returned on QA system? (schema, etc.)

last but not least - can you search SAP HANA log files for occurence of table name?

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dev is upgraded and QA is not.

I can't see custom table in DEV. I have used the query to see the table in QA and below is the output

I can see the table in existing schema of QA System. Developer has created a custom table in a schema 'X' and this 'X' is replicating tables from ECC. If the replication is stopped does this deletes custom tables?

I am not sure how to check  logs for specific table name, can you please guide me in this.

Regards,

Raj

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

actually I was interested in schema name - but from the fact you made it black I assume it is not standard schema which might be intended for different purpose (like schema SYSTEM, etc.) - it is your own custom schema..

what about other tables in this schema - were ALL tables from this schema deleted? does this schema exist? or was the associated user deleted? reason is that if user was deleted with cascade option then it will also delete his schema and all tables there...

regarding replication - are you using SLT? it is some time since I was working with SLT but back then when you stopped replication it did not delete table - it only stopped updating it...

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Thomas, we use SLT to replicate tables from ECC to HANA.

When a configuration is created using SLT it creates a schema name and user with schema name in HANA.

Developer has created custom table in this schema.

Does deleting the user and schema deletes the custom tables too? these custom tables are created on Disk right?

Correct me If I am wrong.

Regards,

Raj

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I do not know what exactly happened but yes - deleting schema will delete also tables in that schema (as you cannot have tables without schema) and deleting user with cascade option will also delete his schema - so if this happened then you might have your explanation...

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

Have you taken a consistent Data Area and Log Area Backup prior to your upgrade but after the creation of Custom Tables. If so then I think you refresh your Upgraded DB with that old backup.

Because in Hana DB, you can not recover a Target DB of lower version w.r.t a backup of higher version but you can recover a Target DB of higher version with a backup of lower version...

Best Regards,

Sourav Brahma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sourav,

Thanks for your reply.

yes, we do have backups of both data and log files.

I would like to know why/how does these custom tables get deleted[I am unsure whether restart of HANA or Upgrading HANA deletes them]

Regards,

Raj