Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace type-pool usage in ABAP program

egor_malov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have quite a complex function group with multiple external includes in the group's top include. The code of some functional modules of the group relies on VRM type-pool (and I can see that in 'Environment Analysis' results - Shift-F4). There is no corresponding TYPE-POOLS: VRM statement in the group code,  so I deduce that this statement is somewhere in the external includes.

I would like to find out, through which include (or, possibly, chain of includes) this type pool is available in my function group.

My idea is to comment out includes gradually until the types from the type-pool become unavailable. It seems to me quite a clumsy way.

Can you probably recommend an easier, smarter way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like you just need to do a WHERE USED list.

Rob

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like you just need to do a WHERE USED list.

Rob

0 Kudos

Rob,

Thank you for your helpful answer! Where used list solves my problem partially: I can build the where-used list for the type pool in question, and I can see from the results that this type pool is used in my code. And I would like a little more - where exactly is that TYPE-POOLS statement, that made this type pool available in my code.

0 Kudos

For this purpose, you can try to use the transaction EWK1 for source code  scan.

In alternative, also for source code scan, there is the report RS_ABAP_SOURCE_SCAN.

Best Regards,

Angelo.

0 Kudos

Hi, Angelo,

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately, in my case source scan of this kind returns too many results - because the project's code base  is quite big and the type-pools is used a lot.

What I was hoping to find is some formal way to determine, due to which include the type-pool is visible. The system was able to compile the code, so the system somehow found the link to this type pool. I just wanted to get to this very information, but looks like lt is impossible.

Thanks again!

former_member195402
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

please edit the main program of your function group in SE38 or SE80. Then call menu function

Utilities (M) -> Update Navigation Index.

Now you should be able to find the TYPE-POOL statement with the FIND ... IN MAIN PROGRAM search option.

Regards,

Klaus

0 Kudos

Hi, Klaus,

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately, I didn't see more 'TYPE-POOLS' entries in search results after index update.

Possibly, the issue depends on the platform version. In my version (7.0, no EhP) this statement is necessary. But  it is considered obsolete as of 7.0 EhP2 or 7.2 (As I see from 'Official ABAP Programming Guidelines'). Probably this change somehow affects what is seen in search results...