cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if points not updating...then your behavior?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Members,

Due to some technical problems, points are not adding up!

If you knew that this problem will remain for a fixed time (say 1 week or 1 month) and then this issue will be solved. But the points earned in this period will not be added (will be "wasted"), then what would be your attitude / behavior etc.? would it change?

TW

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

My actions would not change much. Noise in my queue might diminish a bit...

I can imagine Julius will throw a celebration in mistaken belief that SCN powers that be finally listened to him.

I guess the answer really comes back to what is your motivation in being a member of SCN. Are you driven by points or by something else.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I heard that it is a points virus from Walldorf..

Cheers,

Julius

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius,

A way to voice against the points system and its "importance" would be to create a new userid and start with zero points.

TW

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Losing the points wouldn't hurt. But losing the connected content would. So I guess that's not really an option. ^^

Also I'm with G. Lakshmipathi. You can't start a discussion and than don't participate. Your picture clearly shows that you are in fact a person and you voiced your opinion in other discussions, too. So let's hear it!

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Steffi,

Well said! Thanks!

What do you mean by "connected content" (is it the connections - members one is following; or the content one had created)? All these can be retrieved with search (i guess). In my opinion, starting with null is an option and will be a way to put your "money where you mouth is". But, as said it is only my opinion...and might not be applicable to Julius (haven't been following this topic and comments made by him, over time)

What is ^^ ?

TW

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I mean the content. You can follow spaces or people with the new ID just as easy, but you can't re-connect with your old content and for example edit blogs and documents again or close your still open discussions etc.

Also you won't get notifications if someone responds in your old content (for example to ask a question about the topic or add some more value to it). Sure, you could just search everything and follow it again, but in some cases (let's stay with Julius for example) that would be a huge hassle and I think a bit much just to prove your stand in the points-discussion.

Being able to manage your own content is one of the most important tasks SCN is offering IMO. I for one wouldn't want to lose my connection to the content I created.

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could have an impact if this was asked an year ago, but now I really don't participate for points. Rather than, I'd see this as an opportunity to get extra time to respond to queries (since this bug might drive few users away) and utilize my sandbox even more

ntn

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nitin thanks!

In my "summary post" we should add this point too...one more criteria is the stage at which the member is currently.

We pursue for riches and money...but after becoming a millionare that pursuit might change...the desire may dampen (slightly)...or maybe not

TW

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Absolutely correct !! Priority changes with the needs.

Any new member (like I was when I joined SCN), might need something to trigger it on for participation or to develop some interest.

Soon, one might realize that points basically doesn't give the satisfaction that an experience or enrichment can actually give.

Points would surely take you to leader board and later on to the top of it, but only the name in leader board won't give you any knowledge if you stop participating. If points were everything, I'll rather reach the levels by spending my time playing Candy crush

See my pursuit has changed

ntn

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ntn,

Reminds me of...Change is constant

Probably when you are just going to reach a landmark...say 50,000 points; your priority might change (temporarily) to achieving this landmark

TW

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LoL

I would rather say it'll change if I were holding, lets say, 49980 points.

And this reminds me of.. Flexibility !!

You don't stay rigid always and bends are needed. So of course, proposed bug with those points on board, would upset me a little. And that again won't matter if I have already got 50,000 points.

My Honest views !!

ntn

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As say's it is difficult to guage!

As commented it depends upon members' motivations to participate in SCN or any forum (free service)

It also depends upon the space (coffee corner or .... or....)

It also depends upon how much time this "points not added bug" remains unsolved.

Some members like firmly believe that "points not added" will not be an issue, as SCN will fix this and eventually points will be added and things will be ok Strong believer in SCN, in that way.

and some other members touching upon the learning and knowledge that is a return gift when one participates in SCN. Taking the emphasis off points and rating systems (bronze, gold etc. etc.)

Thanks all!

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

Thanks for concluding the answers from all members but still we are waiting for your thoughts on this. What would you do if it happens?

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam Thanks!

Please let me come back on this after some pondering

Many seeds of ideas are there, those have to be given time to germinate; plus weeding and selecting needs to be done, to get those on to this platform.

TW

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the attitude of people frequenting the coffee corner would largely be the same.

i.e. don't really care that much about points

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob, very nice! thanks! tw

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey T-dubz.

What that means is that it is difficult to gage the behaviour of the average SCN community, I also wouldn't know what the best approach would be to get a hold on that kind of information.

Does this forum support polls?

Cheers, Rob.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, it does. But only moderators can create one.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob,

I don't know if polls could be the "best tool" for this...there would be more clarity in description answers rather than pick an alternative.

We are getting lot of witty and informative comments here.

TW

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While you were typing I was just thinking of what the Poll alternatives might look like.

Helpful to see some user-generated sample suggestions. Think also : "Don't lead the witness" - meaning represent different points of view.  I would struggle with this a bit honestly, because I do have "an opinion".  I imagine others might as well.  Test of "put yourself in another's place"

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Marilyn,

Would you like to create a poll relate to this topic?

Thanks for your post!

TW

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The poll alternatives Marilyn are there but can be extremely difficult to create.

A poll is a tool to get an insight on opinions of a community, correct?

So the way it works is you ask a question with predefined answers and a selection of the community then picks those answers. With the end result (numbers of people who have voted X or Y, etc.) you try to answer your meta question (e.g. what is the overall opinion on dog faeces).

Without a poll or poll like tool the only way to get this information is by somehow analyzing all of the user interactions here (posts, blogs, etc.) who are, mind you,  not explicitely dog faeces related then try to distill it down and somehow quantify it into said opinions on canine excrement and then present the results.

Well good luck with that!

Cheers, Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm only interested in bullet points.

Bless you

C.Hari

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
then what would be your attitude / behavior etc.?

I am putting the same question with you.  Hope, it would be a honest feedback.

After sharing your knowledge in SCN and if the OP has confirmed that it is a quality suggestion and appreciated by them, then it is more than anything else which includes points system also.  It is only a self testing of your knowledge.  In that way only, all regular members including Topic Leaders have gained their knowledge but what the worrying factor is that not all those members are reciprocating to SCN on a regular basis.

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

G Lakshmipathi,

I am just a typewriter! Let us hear opinions of other members.

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW, I liked this diplomatic answer of yours

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Frankly speaking knowledge is more important than points . Knowledge is more devine than points .

Thanks

KH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dog faeces in a liquidizer is more divine than points as well...

Cheers,

Julius

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

don't hold back!

By the way, receiving the email notification with your comments was a case of /nocontext

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No context? Isn't it always "Julius vs the ponits system?"

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius, That's not the story you gave me about dog feces and your neighbor's mailbox...

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was from his own dog and I did not liquidize it. A few days in a plastic bag in the sun is not the same as liquidization.

I could have, but I didn't. Even if I had, I would still be higher up the food chain than the points system so this is immaterial.

Thank you.

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not always. Seldom infact. But these days when bugs in the points system cause an array of problems are the ones I enjoy most...  🙂

Wonderful stuff.

The best to date was still the bug which deducted points instead of adding them as they were "earned". My all time favourite.

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So more a kind of feature from your perspective, right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, confessed. I would miss the bugs in the points system and the joy they give me.

But that is because I suffer from "schadensfreude" for silly things.

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See, so you DO get something out of the points system from time to time... when it's malfunctioning. But better than nothing.

I still like it the same as I did in the beginning. Aaaaaand I only have 2,069 points more to go until I get a shiny gem, so yeah! Go me! If likes for comments would still count towards that, I'd be probably already there.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

that means you need to get cracking on a few blogs and documents for IdM

or

switch to a functional area and answer the 1000s of questions in those spaces

or

do a Jelena and write a really witty and opionated blog that gets more comments than a coffee corner discussion or Steve's status updates.

Depending on your area of expertise in SAP and style of participation in SCN, you can place the same amount of effort in your work but you will receive the reward of points at a much different pace. In some cases, your quality can be much  higher but does not have as much audience reach. I've seen some members go from new member to topaz in a few months. It's because they participate in high volume spaces (sometimes I do wonder if those spaces also have more low hanging fruit and opportunity to be awarded points).

In short: not all points are created equal but they are treated the same in rankings.

Anyway, I too like it when I get a nice shiny icon or when people like/rate my stuff. But when it's the likes I also check who liked it to see if they are members of the community that I respect.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly. That is what these bugs do -> they get rid of user based noise and give content based navigation a better chance.

Except this time the content navigation was lost as well.

Perhaps better luck next time that the points system is irreparably torched but all content navigation and likes are available for users as infos.

If someone then still habitually clicks on "points" then we can introduce the negative scoring again for them.

IMO that is a nice compromise. Anyone agree? Perhaps we can ask for a meltdown bug in the Idea Place?

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh, I like my pace. I already got 2 points this year!

Anyway, I too like it when I get a nice shiny icon or when people like/rate my stuff. But when it's the likes I also check who liked it to see if they are members of the community that I respect.

Absolutly yes to this.

@Julius: Meltdown bug? Didn't we already have had one of those? Some of the users seem to have suffered a meltdown...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly. Content based rating. And content based user experience.

User points frenzy is stupid.

I rest my case.

Cheers,

Julius

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey those 2 points means someone really appreciate a blog or document that you wrote. You might just have indirectly contributed to the design or support of another system somewhere out there in SAP land!

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That would be nice, but nope, those were for the thread I created in the support space. I think it was more like a test, if the history for the points isn't updated either. ^^

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Couldn't care less about the pinots to be honest.

What I do care about is, that it arbitrarily takes up to 30 seconds for me to navigate (leftclick) anywhere within SCN at the moment; it's nearly as bad as it was directly after the migration. We need a spinning flower as loading icon to improve that user experience. Maybe add an ETA too "Navigation has been queued, please wait up to <X> Minutes".

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Luke,

you are located in Germany right? I usually never see these page load times, neither from the SAP network not when browsing from home.

Would you mind sending me a network trace (Chrome Developer Tools or Firebug) when you see this happening. Also maybe some specs on the hardware you are using too.

We do regular load tests and monitor the site performance and this is not what we are seeing. If there is anything that we are missing, I would appreciate any additional information on this.

Thanks!

PS: I see you are located in Berlin too. I could offer you to come to our office and I have a look at this.

PPS: Wait, this is the coffee corner. Damn, I should have put some stupid joke into the reply...anyway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Luke,

We currently have some problems with POWL...

Managers at org level depth 1 can only approve travel expenses, but now we have the problem that the CEO's travel expenses cannot be approved as he does not have a chief.

Also some persons with double-functions who are employees of their own orgs can approve their own travels.

Also the CIO does not have a user ID in SAP.

Can you help after you have helped SAP with their problem?

Cheers,

Julius

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

today the problems seem not to occur anymore

Navigation is smooth and the activity feed isn't broken anymore (at the moment).

The next time it, happens, I'll make a web trace and send it to you.

PS: I see you are located in Berlin too. I could offer you to come to our office and I have a look at this.

That's a bit ambiguous . Were you refering to the Http-Trace or to my delusions that the site is slow? (I'M NOT INSANE!).

I'm curious; where exactly are you working, Oliver? At the Rosenthaler? Or are you one of those Potsdamer Innovation Geniuses who are working on an AI that will take over the world and enslave humanity?

PPS: Wait, this is the coffee corner. Damn, I should have put some stupid joke into the reply...anyway

Don't worry, we got this and will cover for you!

Cheers, Lukas

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ahhh.. Julius I love your polysemous posts. Now I have to figure out what to make of it:

• you're mocking me
  • you really have that described problem
  • you are quoting a post from the FI-TV forums which is waiting for me to rant about

For a quick out-of-the-box solution you can read my book "How to fix POWL in a few easy steps" 😉

Content: "Get a portal and use the UWL instead" followed by 200 blank pages.

Cheers, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's it! Thanks Lukas!

I see that you solved Oli's problem as well - like magic.. 

ps: Sorry for the delay, I had to look up the word "polysemous" and also read the book in the meantime...  😉

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

For a quick out-of-the-box solution you can read my book "How to fix POWL in a few easy steps" 😉

Content: "Get a portal and use the UWL instead" followed by 200 blank pages.

There's probably a whole series of books that can be written like that for SAP!

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I'm located in the Office Rosenthaler Strasse, but there is no geniuses here and only minor innovation. And the invite still stands to check whatever issue you might have

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll gladly accept that offer the next time there are problems with SCN 😜

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Geniuses who are working on an AI that will take over the world and enslave humanity?

That seems to have just been outlawed.

Prominent Scientists Sign Letter of Warning About AI Risks

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe they've watched "Terminator". ^^

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oliver Kohl wrote:

I'm located in the Office Rosenthaler Strasse, but there is no geniuses here

You're way too modest, Oliver!

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Honestly saying, no one will be going to tell that he will stop contributing if the point will be not assigned to them.

But If the discussion will be like that

But the points knowledge earned in this period will not be added (will be "wasted") in your brain, then what would be your attitude / behavior etc.? would it change?

Then what would be about you ?

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the knowledge, that you earn in that timeframe, is not saved in your memory, because SCN has a little trouble with updating it's activity streams, you should definitly see a doctor. ^^

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great Answer Steffi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wonderful  🙂

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dibyendu,

with what sense of imagination are you linking brain with an issue in SCN (or for that matter with SCN)?

TW

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
 then what would be your attitude / behavior etc.?

I'd stomp and pout and would demand a sort of compensation of course!

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There won't be a big difference. Its only motivation that'll be less than normal but we all know that this is not gonna happen. If such situation comes we'll have belief that after fixing this problem SCN is going to add those points in our bucket. Right?

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam,

The premise is those points will never add up.

Then what...(or is it - for some - then nothing)?

TW