cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual Costing/Material Ledger Alternate Price Strategy

0 Kudos

Hi experts!

We currently use the material ledger for period end closing and I am new to this process as I just took over closing.  Currently, we when we run multi level settlement we get quite a few negative rates and to fix the issue we do an MR22 to the material and rerun multi level settlement.  I noticed SAP has an automatic error correction for negative rates and will use the fallback strategy.  I'm aware of the steps in the strategy, but was more curious as to what experienced users think about using this check.

I know that these differences go into the Not Distributed line and are not considered in the price calculation.  We have tested running with the automatic error correction on and in some cases it did what we would normally to get the price close to actual with the MR22, but in some cases we were surprised with the results.

Do you recommend checking this or continuing to correct negative rate errors manually?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OwenLiu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

Regarding fallback strategy, notes 908776 and 579216 are relevant.

MR22 is only a workaround and it should not be the first choice.

You should consider to find out the reason for the negative receipt. Whether it's a reverse GR or a incorrectly used movement type.

Since the system can't handle negative PUP, it can only use fallback strategies.

I think you should prevent the negative PUP in the first place from business view.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Owen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

I understand the best method is to prevent these in the first place, however, we are a large global manufacturing company and several checks are already performed before closing begins and we cannot catch every error ahead of time. We just use the MR22 to get the price close to standard so we can finish closing and have the responsible parties correct the mistake for the next period.

My main inquiry was instead of having to do an MR22, as it can sometimes be complicated to analyze the data while we are in the middle of closing, if using the automatic error correction is a good process.  I would want to first run it without this error correction to identify the negative rates, and then run again with the error correction to fix the issues and proceed with closing in a timely manner. 

kamalkumar_biswas2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you see my reply I have explained the possible errors and automatic system solution...you can follow that ...in my experience it works fine..

0 Kudos

I've read the SAP documentation that states each error and strategy.  I have tested using the system's automatic error correction and was more worried about the amounts added to the Not Distributed line and any user's personal experience with using the fallback strategy for negative rates.

OwenLiu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If the fallback strategy works, the PUP will not be accurate. That's why it's a "fallback" strategy.

As you said, if it's just for complete the closing, it's alright if you use MR22. But the normal practice is to make the same amount, opposite posting with MR22 in the next period. This will balance the correction happened last period, and in total, the value is balanced.

0 Kudos

The PUP isn't accurate when posting an MR22 either correct?  A lot of the time, MR22's can be difficult for the accountant to get the PUP price close to standard (that's our normal process for negative rates) and it seems like the fallback strategy would do a faster/more accurate job than the current process.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

My thinking is that using the fallback strategy it will involve less human error during closing and will save us a tremendous amount of time and still be as close to the standard or previous month PUP rate anyway and the responsible person can correct the posting next period.  Is that a valid reasoning to use the fallback strategy?

I'm just trying to get a straight up yes or no answer before I proceed.  Thanks for your help.

OwenLiu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The link below might be helpful for you to understand the automatic correction:
http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/en/71/f0d353ca9f4408e10000000a174cb4/content.htm?framese...

Anyway, if automatic error correction or MR22 involved, the PUP result will not be "Correct". It's because some part of the processing is ignored or interfered.

If the negative price are caused by cycle converge, note 1522959 will be helpful.

kamalkumar_biswas2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

CKMLCP  multilevel is itself a complex process so before you start this process you must ensure that.....

Orders are settled correctly

Goods receipts are not missing

Goods issues carried out in all orders

In order to perform multilevel price determination successfully, the following prerequisites must

be satisfied:

The materials are not locked.

Single-level price determination was performed.

Errors During Material Price Determination

Even if these prerequisites have been met, you may still experience the following errors during

multilevel price determination:

1. The cumulated quantity of a material in the period is zero, which prevents an actual price

from being calculated.

2. The actual BOM contains a cycle that is not converged and therefore does not allow price

determination.

3. The price for the material is negative.

4. The price calculated in multilevel price determination for a material exceeds the threshold

you set.

5. The sum of the multilevel price differences that would subsequently be debited to the

material exceeds the threshold you set.

These errors can be divided into three categories:

Error 1 is corrected automatically by the system. No action is required on the part of the user.

The system calculates with an alternative price that is found through a strategy.

Errors 2 and 3 can also be corrected through special strategies in order to enable price

determination. When you maintain the parameters for multilevel price determination, you can

specify the strategy that is to be used under Show Postprocessing Options.

Errors 4 and 5 occur as a result of the error thresholds you set. These error thresholds must

be set to enable the errors to be corrected automatically using strategies under Show

Postprocessing Options.

So.... best practice is always correct the reasons for anomalies causing this errors and not MR22