cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to XLS cause image to export in grayscale images.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are using the crystal report 13 engine to print or preview reports. When our customers export their reports to Excel (.xls) images (read from binary field in database) are saved as grayscale images in the generated Excel file.

When I uncheck the "Retain Original Image Color Depth" option in the main report, the images are in color (OK). But I've enabled this option in the past with previous Crystal Reports engine to avoid color loss, halftone or color patterns. In my mind, when this option is enabled, Crystal Report must keep the original image colors. It should not turn them in grayscale.

The images are store in the database in binary fields using the Tiff file format. Is the file format causing me some trouble I'm not aware of?

We also have noticed that images are coming out in grayscale when they are greater than a specific size in pixels or file size (don't know exactly which one is because they are tightly coupled).

Is Crystal Report runtime 13 need the option "Retain Original Image Color Depth" to be set to avoid color loss. We need to keep original colors.

Any idea if it is a limitation or a bug?

Any known workaround?

Best regards,

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

I moved your post to the CR for .NET forum - assuming that by CR 13 you mean "SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET"(?). This also implies that you are using this version in .NET(?).

Given that the assumptions are correct, I believe you are looking more at limitations than bugs. However see the below:

1) Make sure you are using SP 12:

2) CR is not a very good image rendering software, so file size may be an issue. See KBA 1704063 - Crystal Reports image color screen and print mismatch

3) TIFF images should not be an issue (up to a point (e.g.; size). See KBA

1964141 - Supported image format in Crystal Reports

4) Is this a web or win app?

5) How do these images work out using SAP Crystal Reports 2013 Designer? (Eval is here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP )

Also see:

KBA - 1893544 - How to reduce the file size of Crystal Reports when using images

KBA - 1216819 - How to improve image and chart resolution in an ASP.NET application

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thank you for your quick reponse.

Yes you assumptions were right. We are using .NET and the SAP Crystal Reports Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET.

This is a desktop app.

Best regards,

Christian

Answers (0)