cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platform of preference?

Former Member
0 Kudos

At my company we have a legacy application on PowerBuilder running on Windows Server 2003.  As that version of windows is due to go end of life in July, we are looking at getting it re-platformed.  Question is - which way to go?

The new 12.6 version of PowerBuilder seems to be supported on Windows Server 2012 but for runtime only (12.5.2 has similar limitation).  The development / support team lead is expressing concern at developing on a different platform, presumably Windows 7, than we would be deploying to.  So what are you developing and deploying to?  Any suggestions or recommendations here?

Thanks in advance,

John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have never heard of any issues caused by developing on one Windows version and running the application on a different Windows version.

You do need to test on the deployment version as there can be differences. For example, security on certain C drive folders and certain areas of the registry can be different.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

We have not deployed 12.6 into production yet, but we've deployed 12.0 applications on pretty much every windows platform out there.  Our PB 12.0 development platform is running Windows 7.   We've found that pretty much without exception, that the compiled applications perform best on the platforms with the new "Windows 8" style UI.  I suspect that is due to the improved display performance inherent in the newer UI.

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John;

FWIW: All my Canadian Government clients are using W7 64 bit as the development platform (government standard) and deploying to the same for GUI based user applications (desktop standard). For utility applications, the deployment is from their W7 development PC's to W2008R2.

A small amount of departments are deploying from W7 to W2012 for server based applications. The odd department is experimenting with W8 and W2012 - but, these are not yet approved platforms by Shared Services Canada (who maintain the desktops & servers for most government departments). Non of the W8/W2012 based applications are in production that I know of.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

PPS: Most of my government clients are using 12.5.1 as it was found to be the most stable thus far.