Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

When to use Crystal Server? Already using CR4E as Unmanaged RAS

Hi,

I am developing a java web application that will open crystal reports from an external location, populate it with service xml data and render in the browser using Crystal DHTML Viewer.

Till now, I have used crystal runtime engine shipped with CR4E which can be embedded in tomcat server. I think this is what you call unmanaged RAS?

The app works.

I have found out that we have license version of Crystal server 2013(5 CAL) and would like to know If I can use it instead of the runtime engine. I am not familiar with Crystal Server so just want to get an idea before I proceed with server installation.

My questions are:

1. What is the function of Crystal server? When to use Crystal Report server? My requirement is report viewing in browser,exporting the report in pdf format and in future browse through and view the reports using frontend provided by Crystal server. Not sure if such a front end app exists now.
  2. Do I continue to use the runtime api jars shipped with eclipse or does crystal server has java SDK?
  3. Are there any API changes in crystal server compared to api's of crystal runtime?
  4. Do I get any performance benefit when using Crystal Server over Crystal runtime engine?  Will using Crystal server speed up report rendering or pdf export?

Best Regards,

Bharat

Former Member
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question