Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEL Key in Eclipse

0 Kudos

Hello,

sometimes my DEL key stops working in AiE - is this a known issue (with an also known solution?)

Kind regards

Christian

7 REPLIES 7

former_member191806
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

There was an older Eclipse bug in Helios with this behaviour, but apparently it was fixed. The only thing that comes to mind is that you might have some key bindings messed up. Go to Window -> Preferences -> General -> Keys and search of Delete ( + sort the table by the Binding column) and check what bindings you have for the Delete key. Currently I have the following bindings for the Delete key:

You can try and disable any additional bindings (if they seem to not be useful) and see if the problem is resolved (if needed, you can restore default bindings afterwards via the Restore defaults button).

Regards,

Serban

thomasalexander_ritter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

unfortunately, this is a known issue:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=440355

I also encountered this problem a couple of months ago. I spent some time on it but was not able to find a way to reproduce it. Have a look at the bug report.

Any kind of information which might help us to reproduce it is valuable. When you ran into it. Did it always appear in a certain scenario? For example, in my case I was using the refactoring tools a lot.

I will update this thread once we have new information regarding this bug.

cheers

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hello,

all developers in my team face this issue from time to time (takes typically some hours, no pattern detected yet). So far, only the IDE restart solves the issue. Some colleagues use only the backspace key instead of DEL for this reason.

Best regards,

Gert

0 Kudos

Hello Gert,

some hours would be great, but it takes only seconds here. Directly after starting Eclipse (Luna or Kepler), my DEL key works. Then, after just a few clicks (opening classes, closing others, activate something...) I can only use BackSpace.

This really ruins using AiE (or ADT).

Regards

Christian

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I noticed one more thing that might help track down the source of the bug.

Once <DEL> stopped working in the editor I can sill use it in popup dialogs (like e.g. in the rename variable dialog). After I have done this, <DEL> starts working in the editor again.

Christian

0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

interesting information. Will try it if the workaround works for me as well. However, I haven't had the problem for quite some time.

Another thing which you could try is test drive the new Eclipse release Mars. It is still not fully finished (milestone 4) but I have been using it for over two weeks and it feels pretty solid. It would be interesting to know if the problem still exists in the new release. Apparently Mars also contains a couple of performance fixes and feels faster.

I have to add the disclaimer that we don't officially support Mars, yet. I would recommend to use it with a copy of your workspace to prevent any data loss. You can get it here:

Eclipse Mars M4 Packages | Packages

cheers

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I have tried Mars now and my first impression is that it really feels faster. I´ve worked for a few hours now without any DEL trouble.

Cheers

Christian