cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to catch selected member value "Total" in Waterfall Chart to avoid the unknown error message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have two charts...

Chart 1 = Waterfall (inclusive "show Totals" setting); Chart 2 = Column Chart

In the Waterfall Chart I use the script "DS_2.setFilter("Dimension 1", CHART_1.getSelectedMember("Dimension 1"));

If I select the Member 1, 2 or 3 everything works fine...

If I select "Total" instead of a member...

The following "Unknown Error Message" occurs:

Is there a way (e.g. if-statement) to catch the selected member value "Total" in the Waterfall Chart to avoid such a error message?

A workaround is to add a "Panel" Component over the Total Column... to make the Total Column not selectable.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I´ve fixed the problem with the following if-statement

if (CHART_1.getSelectedMember("Dimension1").text != "Overall Result") {

DS_1.setFilter("Dimension1", CHART_1.getSelectedMember("Dimension1"));

}

else {

DS_1.clearFilter("Dimension1");

}

So the error message is not showing if the user select the "Overall Result".  Instead  all the members of the dimension are displayed in the another component (e.g. chart).

Regards,

Michael 

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

you might wanna change the if statement to check for the "key" value as the text can change based on the language

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

are you getting the error message based on the code you added to the onSelect option or do you see the error message also without the code ?

thanks

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

thanks for your reply!

The error message only appears with a OnSelect statement.

Regards,

Michael

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Could you not display the total on the waterfall chart, selecting the property option "Show total" to false?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

thanks for your reply...

No, I like the "Show Totals" setting in the Waterfall Chart... So, I can show the single member values and the Totals value of all the members in one single chart.

In my case an additional Waterfall component setting "Totals selectable = false" would be good.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael:

Which version of Design Studio are you using? I am on DS 1.4 with the 12/19 patch

I am not getting an exception error but "no data available" - which is probably more acceptable than the dump you are getting - see below:

My data source is a BEx query

Also, your other options are the dimension panel and filter panel.