Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saptools dataabse size

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are live with ASE from few days... is it good that the size of saptools database is increased so fast? now it is 7 GB database size.

Is there any job for cleaning unnecessary records?

Now the db is in autoexpand but is not nice that it increase so fast

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_heimann
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ganimede,

please try to implement SAP Note 2100175 (SYB: Increased space allocation of data collectors 'Tables' and 'Indexes'). This will schedule some regular cleanup jobs which should reduce the growth of your saptools database.

Best regards

Christoph

former_member182259
Contributor
0 Kudos

The saptools database contains the ASE monitoring information and job scheduling metadata for DBA Cockpit.    After you first migrate, assuming you set up ATM, the database will be fairly empty.   However, as time goes on, the monitoring data collected will start to take up space.    So, it would not be odd early after a migration to rapidly see growth.

By default, in DBA Cockpit, the data retention for monitoring data is set to 14 days.   On of my small annoyances with saptools during installation is that we really don't have a good idea of how much space 14 days of data is as it largely depends on the activity on the system and the size of the system.   In addition, 14 days is often (in my opinion only) too little data as you would need 32+ days in order to do comparison for EOM reporting performance...and likely 45-60 days is better.

My advice to customers is to plan on saptools being about 100GB, set the retention for 45 or 60 days  and then monitor the space usage and see how much data (days wise) is available when it gets about 50% space consumed - and then extrapolate how much space you will need for 45-60 days.   My advice also is to plan on at least 60 days as it gives you a considerable window to look back and see if a problem started a while ago and was simply progressively getting worse, etc.

If I remember correctly, there are successive levels of aggregating the data so that older metrics are not kept to the level of detail - but I may be wrong.   There may also be ways to prune some information earlier (e.g. keep on the last 14 days of query/statement metrics, but 60 days of device/cpu utilization metrics) - but someone from AGS may be able to help you better with that question.

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ganimede,

Could it be because of increasing log?

The note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1585981 says;

• Perform daily database backups of the master and the <DBSID> database (optional: sybmgmtdb, saptools ; sybsystemprocs; see below for details).

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

No, log is at the same size... the database itself increase.