Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate process to control access to BO data source

ely_turkenitz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We have 1 of the oracle data sources used by BO 4.1 for reporting. Everyday this data source must be refreshed with new data at a specific hour.

During these data refresh hours, we want to hold off all BO reporting to just this particular data source. Today, we automate a process to disable the BO adaptive job server to gate any scheduled jobs from running until data refresh is done. However, we are not able to gate/stop the fresh-on-demand jobs to connect to just this data source.

We are seeking sound advices from the gurus for a solution to achieve this task with automation (command line/script driven), whether it's done on the BO server or on the Oracle DB server.  

Thank you in advance for your tips/thoughts.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ragove
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Everyday this data source must be refreshed with new data at a specific hour.  During these data refresh hours, ---->  OK,

now what I didn't understand is this line---> we want to hold off all BO reporting to just this particular data source ----  did you mean you want to stop all reports refresh until the data source is updated or you want all the reports to use this data source for that moment by stopping using the existing source?

So until I get further clarity from you, here is my say:

If you want to have no one else use the reports, I'd say stop the Adaptive Job Server completely for the moment concerned.  All I can see as far as BusinessObjects is concerned that you must plan your refresh/schedules accordingly for concern w.r.t oracle data source.

ely_turkenitz
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Rahul,

Thanks for the response.

To clarify..

---> we want to hold off all BO reporting that uses this data source until the data source is updated. We have many other data sources that are not  being impacted by this update so users should be able to access those all the time.

Our current practice is to stop the Adaptive Job Server to prevent any scheduled jobs from running in that window. However, Adaptive job Server does not stop jobs that are refreshed on demand.

If we stop the webi processing server, refresh on demand jobs will be blocked but then reports that use other data sources will also be blocked.

I do not know of a way for BO to handle this. I was wondering if there is a way to block or limit  the connection at the oracle data base level instead. Any thought on this would be greatly appreciated.

ragove
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Move the TNS names. ora file time being and place it back when the work is done.

former_member190982
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ely,

Another approach ,

which will work if you know which report are based on the database which u want the reports should not  refresh against.

You can specify Viewing and scheduling server group for reports in CMC, and stop the Viewing and Scheduling Server Group when you want that these report should not be scheduled/or Viewed on demand.

If you have CMS on same Database , removing tnsnames.ora may cause BO CMS to stop.

You can specify the Viweing server group as shown in the below image, and make sure you use the third option, "ONLY USE this SERVER ..."

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RVS

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moved to BI platform for faster response