Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLAP Cube reports to Exploration Information spaces

former_member360582
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We want to migrate all the OLAP cube reports to BO explorer Information spaces.

OLAP cubes are of MS BI .

Please let me know if transition is smooth

and what all things need to be taken care of .

Regards

Gaurav.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190767
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Gaurav,

is it the goal to replace the MSAS OLAP Cubes? if so, will the MSAS OLAP Cubes be decommisioned?

In case both answers are YES, you should build your universe not against the MSAS Cubes, but against the base SQLServer model from the OLAP Cubes.. Depending on your model in MSAS, you may be able to export the metadata from your source / relations and field into an XML File.. This XML File can then be used to generate the Universe (UNV).. For details of the XML Metadata import, please check out the Universe Design Tool manual (SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.1 – SAP Help Portal Page). This would save you time in re-engineering the universe required by Explorer.

One comment nevertheless.. MSAS Cubes can contain a lot of data.. Explorer is not designed to index multi million rows of data.. keep your dataset lean and mean by leveraging aggregations and subject oriented information spaces within Explorer to ensure performance will be satisfying

for sizing explorer.. please check out the sizing guide via https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F6465...

regards

Merlijn

former_member360582
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Henry Banks

Thanks Merlijn Ekkel.

Legacy system or earlier we are having MS BI Cubes.

Now we want to replace those.

So we were having reports built on top of MS BI Cube.

Now that we have brought RDBMS database i.e Teradata database (So complete different from)

So Data sourcing and other ETL will be done there using Cascade (is for sourcing )

we have informatica and procedures too.

Then there is semantic layer (views created at database)

So the Universe is built on top of these views semantic layer.

So and then we are bringing Exploerer for those OLAP cube reports .

So the MS BI Cubes and other things there are been replaced by RDBMS Teradata database.

Universe is built and that too UNX (using IDT)

So I have to take care few filters and few calculatiosn at cube level into information space or Universe .

Also we are also checking the performance to bring all the corresponding objects which were in that Cube (mapped with Universe objects ) into information space .

So that user is given that particular cube (earlier which he was using ) now in explorer with even graphs and other things included.

I will check the sizing and other links which has been sent

Thank you again .

Thanks and regards

Gaurav.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

to my knowledge, there is no migration path between MSAS Reporting and BIP Explorer .

First, you'll need to create an OLAP connection in either CMC or IDT to your MSAS Cubes.

(At this point, your analysts can alredy consume this connection in Analysis OLAP via BILaunchpad )

Secondly, you'll need to generate an OLAP 'business layer' (i.e. universe outline) ontop of your OLAP connection (this is done in IDT).  FYI - A universe is an 'abstraction layer',  between the technical db structures and the end business-user, that helps simplify the reporting objects.

Now, save this universe & Export to repository.

Finally, go into BI Explorer,  locate your Universe.  Create your index query on top of the universe. Allow to complete.

Now your users can use BI Explorer in a self-service data discovery way.

This same universe can also be used for interactive reporting in webi, bulk reporting in crystal, or any dashboarding solution.

Regards,

H