cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with calling webservice on Windows Server 2008?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know of any known issues with trying to call webservices in PB 12.5 using the .NET WSDL engine on Windows Server 2008? I have verified the following: 1) .Net 4.0 is installed on the machine. 2) The correct .dlls are all referenced on the machine as expected and there are no duplicates of them that could be referenced instead. 3) The webservice call works on normal Windows 7 machines with .Net 4.0 under the same deployment method. 4) The user has permission to read/execute the .dlls.

The error I am getting is on the SoapConnection CreateInstance function. The error says "bad runtime function reference". I did see a previous post that said to check the libeay32.dll or ssleay32.dll files to make sure it's referencing the correct one and from what I can tell it is (I even put the correct version of those .dlls in the app directory of the application that runs the webservice and it gives the same error).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone had success in calling a webservice from Windows Server 2008? If so then at least I know it is some config/setup issue on our server. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

After trying many things the solution I came up with was to install the full .NET 4.0 framework (not just the client version) and install the .NET 4.0 SDK on Server 2008. I know that the SDK should only be needed for the IDE at design time per the documentation, but installing this for Windows Server 2008 somehow corrected whatever .NET/dll reference issues that were happening. For now this is an acceptable solution for us.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steven;

Did you get a successful connection first to the web service via the ConnectToServer ( ) method?

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

So your WinServer2008 machine is running the PB application, and is invoking the web services?  Or it's hosting the web services?   That's not clear...

Make sure you do NOT also have the EasySoap libraries in your target PBL lineup.  In other words, you need pbwsclient125.pbd, not pbsoapclient125.pbd.

The SoapConnection class is defined in both, and you only need one.

-Paul-

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is invoking the web service, not hosting it. The error is happening on the CreateInstance function of the SoapConnection class.

I removed the EasySoap libraries from the Windows Server 2008 machine and I get the same bad runtime function reference error as before.