cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial Evaluation missing things

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am evaluating PowerDesigner using the 15 day trial download.  Unfortunately I'm having problems with missing toolbar buttons and menu options.  I'm not sure if these are missing due to the context I'm in, or the fact I am using a trial version.   What I have managed to do so far has impressed me, but obviously I'm greatly hampered by these things.

To give an example;  when I enter PowerDesigner I can choose to create a Physical Data Model.  This shows up in the Object Browser as expected.  However, the toolbars above are completely blank.  They are there, and appear to have invisible buttons on them, with no text or icons.  Clicking on most accomplishes nothing, but then I can't know what each one is supposed to do.

Equally, the menus appear to be mostly empty.  The File menu, for instance only has a single entry for "New Model".   The Edit menu has a single "Undo" that is disabled.  The Tools menu has a single "Complete Links" and nothing else.

Is this normal behaviour?  Am I failing to do something?  Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182952
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gavin,

It's definitely not normal behavior.  Can you please provide a screenshot showing the problem?

Also, what operating system is it installed on?  Is it a Virtual Machine?

Thank you,

Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Adam.  Please see the attached screenshot.  This is what I get on creating a new physical model, then accessing the File menu.  As you can see, the toolbars don't have anything visible on them, and I would expect to see more on the menu.

This is on a Windows 7 laptop, using x64 version.   I think I'll try de-installing and re-installing and will update this thread if it makes a difference.

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Make sure you have patched your .Net environment in Windows to the latest version.

You can also try using the pdlegacyshell16.exe and see if things work in there.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think my .NET is up to date.  Any idea exactly what version I should be using?

I tried pdlegacyshell16.exe and that doesn't have any of the same problems.  Am I losing anything significant by using it instead?

I guess this suggests the problem lies with my .NET setup?

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I think you need 4.0 as a minimum.

Try running the Wndows Update and making sure you are at the latest patches.

Chris

former_member192453
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This appears to be a dependency issue. Please check that you have the following installed.

Here is an excerpt from the PowerDesigner Installation guide:

PowerDesigner Dependencies

PowerDesigner depends on a certain number of frameworks and libraries and will install them if they are not present in your environment.
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

Note After installation is complete, we recommend that you check for and install the latest security updates.

• Windows Installer 3.1 and Windows Imaging Component - for your Windows version.
  • o2003pia.msi, o2007pia.msi, o2010pia.msi - Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies for MS Office 2003, 2007, and 2010 to support PowerDesigner MS Office plugins.
  • extensibilityMSM.msi - shared Addin Extensibility update for .Net to support PowerDesigner MS Office plugins.
  • msxml6-KB2758696-fra-x86.exe or msxml6-KB2758696-fra-amd64.exe - to support the              PowerDesigner XSM.
  • vjredist.exe - Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 redistribuable to support the PowerDesigner Auto-Layout feature.
  • vcredist_x86.exe or vcredist_x64.exe - Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and 2010 Runtime Libraries
  • vstor_redist.exe - Visual Studio Tools for Office

Anthony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anthony.  I've check through this list and I appear to have all that is required.  However, my understanding is that the install should have install all these anyway, if I was missing them.

So it still appears some kind of mis-configuration on my laptop, which I appreciate is not PowerDesigner's fault.  Unfortunately I don't have time to spend any further effort on resolving that at the moment.

My outstanding question is still;  if I evaluate PowerDesigner using the legacy shell, am I missing out on any significant functionality that I would otherwise get in the normal version?

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Additional Questions from my side:

- what means legacyshell?

- for what purposes using this shell?

- how does this shell differ from the pdshell?

regards

dj

former_member192453
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gavin,

Using the legacy shell, you will be able to evaluate the core features of PowerDesigner. Primarily, you may not be able to evaluate features that take advantage of the new user interface. Some examples that come to mind are the new Report Editor, tabbed windows, and docking windows.

I came up with these examples by referencing the New Features guide in the PD Help. In PowerDesigner 16.0, the interface was updated and in PD 16.5, a new Report Editor was introduced.

(In PD, select the Help->Contents menu and then expand New Features Summary for more details.)

In its simplest description, the 'legacyshell' is PD 16.x using the previous user interface.

Anthony

Former Member
0 Kudos

All I can tell you is that the legacy shell is a separate front-end exe.  It has quite a dated look to it, but apparently is functionally very similar to the usual shell.  It identifies itself as 16.5, same as the usual PdShell16.exe.

The purpose, I assume, is for instances like myself where something in my Windows setup is making it impossible to use the usual shell.  You also may be more use to the legacy layout, and not wish to retrain/change to the new layout.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anthony.  I will continue evaluation with the legacy shell, and in time either get it installed on a different computer, or get whatever is wrong with my laptop resolved.

Thanks for your help.

former_member192453
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gavin,

When you install on a new computer, make sure that the correct version of the redistributable files are installed. For example, you are using Windows 7 x64, but there is no mention if you are using x32 or x64 for PowerDesigner.

By default Windows 7 x64 will have 64-bit versions of the redistributable files installed. If you install 32-bit PowerDesigner, then you will need to manually install a 32-bit version of the files before installing PD.

Regards,

Anthony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes.  I'm using the x64 versions for everything.  Just one of the things that's made working out what's wrong more complicated.

Answers (0)