cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gridlines for X-Axis in Line Chart

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I just started to investigate the possibilities that Design Studio offers and what kind of possibilities exist to adjust the display of crosstabs and charts.

While I was able to adjust the crosstabs the way I wanted by using CSS, I am unclear how to show gridlines in a line chart not only for the Y-Axis but also for the X-Axis (marked in orange in the sketch).

Since there is no option to enable them in the Additional Properties and according to the SDK Developer Guide it is not possible to extend standard components, is the only option to create a custom chart from scratch? Or is there an easier option I am not aware of?

I am using Design Studio 1.4.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Nico

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

We had a similar requirement and thereby we created a custom sdk component which shows the Gridlines in the line chart, not only for Y-Axis but also for X-axis.

With additional properties which helps to set the Grid Color for X & Y-Axis, Gridline Style & Width of the Gridline.

Please find the screenshot below :

Hope your requirement is similar to this.

Best Regards,

Sesha

0 Kudos

Thank you, Sesha! That was exactly what I assumed we would also have to do.

How long did it approximately take you to build this custom sdk component?

Best regards,

Nico

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nico - as of now I don't see an easy way to add the vertical grid lines.  Horizontal gridlines can be displayed on off using CSS.

May I ask why you want them as part of your design?  See Stephen Few's document regarding gridlines: http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/dmreview/grid_lines.pdf

0 Kudos

Thank you Tammy!

We just try to reproduce some elements of existing dashboards (created with Dashboard Designer) with Design Studio to see what can already be done with the current Design Studio version and what not.

How complicated is the SDK development of a simple custom chart for example a line chart with the added grid lines? Is my feeling that this would take several man-days correct or can this be done way faster?

Thanks a lot,

Nico

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nico  - I have not developed in the SDK myself, so I will defer that answer to others.  I will keep thinking of options for you.