Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long wait for ABAP Type Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When i place the cursor on a class name, example : CL_GUI_ALV_GRID, and press CONTROL + T, or right click on

mouse and chose the option Open ABAP Type Hierarchy, the response is coming almost after 8 - 10 minutes.

Please let me know where exactly the problem is. I am working with Eclipse Luna with SAP EHP 7.4 as backend. ADT 2.36.

Thanks in advance.

Kishore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thomasalexander_ritter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

the current type hierarchy implementation can take a little bit longer when it gets invoked for large hierarchies such as the one for CL_GUI_ALV_GRID. We are aware of this problem and its on our list for improvements.

When interacting with a large hierarchy I would always use the "Open ABAP Type Hierarchy" option. It allows you to run the calculation in the background.

cheers

Thomas

5 REPLIES 5

thomasalexander_ritter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

the current type hierarchy implementation can take a little bit longer when it gets invoked for large hierarchies such as the one for CL_GUI_ALV_GRID. We are aware of this problem and its on our list for improvements.

When interacting with a large hierarchy I would always use the "Open ABAP Type Hierarchy" option. It allows you to run the calculation in the background.

cheers

Thomas

0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas,

i was worried if my settings were wrong. Will check this with other classes.

Regards,

Kishore

ThFiedler
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

do you really mean minutes or seconds?

I tested with ADT 2.36 against several backend versions and in all cases the calculation of the type hierarchy for CL_GUI_ALV_GRID does not take longer than 10 seconds.

Regards,

Thomas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I meant minutes, not seconds. If it is not taking more than 10 secs for you, can there be any problem in my backend configurations ? Can you please see the reply by

0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

when I opened the hierarchy for class cl_gui_alv_grid in our system it took at least over a minute. However, I spoke with the developer and he told me that there is a caching mechanism. This should explain why the calculation was much faster when Thomas Fiedler tried it. 8 minutes is certainly a very long time. Lets make sure the cache works in your system. Does the response for the hierarchy of cl_gui_alv_grid gets better over time or is it always around 8 minutes?

cheers

Thomas