Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRM rapid deployment solution vs regular implementation

former_member1003269
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could anyone explain the difference between regular implementation and Rapid Deployment Solution (RDS) implementation. Is this a SAP marketing trick ?

Thanks,

Denis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member208675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

SAP SRM RDS timelines quote is 6 weeks. Though this would be vanilla SAP SRM.

SAP SRM regular implementation can take 6 months completely depends on resources & plan.

Now as I have seen these implementation has all capabilities to go with all custom requirements. Where as in RDS one must check about range of custom requirements, this fact is worth considering. It will impact timelines.

One may have to shell out more licence fees for RDS. You should also consider this factor.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. Not wanting to cast any aspersions, especially as I have never seen RDS in action, but my gut feeling is marketing trick.

If you set up SRM basically with no major developments it doesn't take long at all. I have got a fully functioning SRM 7 system up and running with workflow etc in a weekend. Obviously this was out the box and with nothing unusual.

What takes time is working out exactly what you want the system to do up front and making sure it meets all requirements sensibly.

As long as you have a small core team of decent consultants / developers it doesn't take much to get exactly what you want.

We have recently rolled SRM out around Europe and USA for a major global company with just 2 of us (1 technical 1 functional) in 1 year. We could have done SRM a lot faster but had to abide by project timescales including all modules, I would say 3 - 6 months for a full SRM project is no problem if it is managed correctly. The last bit is a big if by the way....

Just my two pence (or cents for those in the US), RDS may be the best thing ever for all I know, but if you sell something as rapid, then insist it goes in vanilla, if the client asks for anything unusual you can argue that breaks the rapid deployment requirements and get out of doing in quickly and ask for $$$ for change requests.

Regards,
Dave.