cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consideration when object removed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to delete certain objects from the Existing Universe and also the columns from the Database Tables used by those objects as well. I am following below process.. Please let me know if i am missing anything.

1. Find the objects

2. Find out the columns Used by those Objects

3. Check the these columns used in  select/where clause of the other objects

4.Check the object to be deleted called in other objects by using @select

Also few more questions

1.what happens when you move a object from once class to other class ?

2.What happens when you remove a object from universe which is used by a report ?

3. What happens when you remove a column which is using by report object from the database table ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks,
Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One solution can be to temporarily alter the column name in the table and do an integrity check of the universe. Then all objects with errors to be checked for reference to the column. However, this exercise is to be done for each universe using the table. Keep in mind that if there is any view or stored procedure using the column or any kind of reference anywhere else in database, that will be impacted. So, make sure you can revert it be

fore you make change.

1.what happens when you move a object from once class to other class ?

The object will now belong to the new class. No impact on reports as the object ID will remain same if you move the object.

2.What happens when you remove a object from universe which is used by a report ?

The reports using the object will show error during execution. Same will happen if you delete an object from universe and create again.

3. What happens when you remove a column which is using by report object from the database table ?

The related object in universe will show error while parsing. Also, reports using the object will show error during execution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you also please let me know if I am missing anything in this process.. Basically i am trying to delete unused objects from the universe. It should not impact the any other reports and objects in the universe.

Thanks,
srini

former_member211423
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

For deleting Unused objects from universe, deleting Column from table is not required. You just check if the object has impact on other objects in universe.

However reports using that object will give you # error where ever object is used in report.

Regards

Sheetal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The major requirement is to delete the table columns which are not being used by reporting. so i think now it makes sense