cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of 1 US Ton to Pounds

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created a PO for 1 US ton of product but when I go to receive it into inventory and hit post goods receipts the system is using a ration of 1999.97 to convert it to lbs.  I can't seem to find where this conversion lives in the system and when I put a conversion on the part for it the system will not allow me to save.

Has anybody else seen this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Mathew,

Can you attach a screenshot of the issue ?

Thanks

Lokesh Sharma

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

the predefined physical units are visible (and can be maintained) in the Business Configuration activity "Quantities and Units of Measure“. There you find also the conversions to reference units of the same type (e.g. all lengths referenced to meter, all weights referenced to kg).

(In the product master, you would define conversions between either Trading units (e.g. how many each are in a box) or between units of *different* quantity types that are valid for this material - but not between physical units of the same type.)

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

PO for 1 tons which is 2000 lbs.  Since there are 2000 lbs in a ton.

Now if you want to receive it and have the system convert it to lbs. it comes up with 1999.99999118

If I try to put a conversion on the part I get an error saying I can't do a conversion for 1 ton to lbs.  If I go to the business configuration I can only convert US tons to kilograms.  Is the imbedded conversion rate for tons to lbs really not 2000?

Sorry this seems like a bug.

0 Kudos

Like most non-SI units, US tons and lb are defined in reference to the corresponding SI unit, in this case kilograms. You could argue that the conversion factor 907.18470000000002 given there for US tons is not exactly accurate and should be better 907.18474000000000, which would lead to the 2000 that you expect. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok this makes sense but it does not look like that field is editable in the UOM area under configuration.

0 Kudos

You could define you own ton and use that instead.

0 Kudos

PS the inaccurate conversion for short tons is inherited from the UoM conversion recommendations list issued by the UN Committee on Trade - Economic Commission for Europe.

www.unece.org/cefact/recommendations/rec20/Rec20_Rev6e_2009.xls

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

If my understading is correct the conversion is due to the settings maintained in the Quantity Conversions you see the result during the GSR.

Go to the product master data & select the product and in the general tab you see an option to enter QUANTITY CONVERSIONS basically here you can specify equivalent measurement of one unit to another.

Thanks

Lokesh Sharma