Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MM Consultant

0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

I'm new for this community. I'm working as a SAP end user (MM, WM & SD for 4 plants in one zone) from Jun-2007 and

recently i completed my SAP MM certification.

I have good knowledge for the below areas.

Sales & Distribution

Customer master creation for new customers and maintain for existing customers (Local, Domestic)

Discounts, Tax codes creation & maintain in customer master

Various type of orders creation with various type of Discounts & tax codes

Materials Management

Vendor mater creation & Maintain (Local, Domestic )

Material master creation & Maintain

Request for quotation, Purchase requisition, Purchase orders,  Outline agreement, Contact,

Scheduling Agreement, Release procedure, Automatic purchase orders, Quota arrangement,

Inventory management

Goods Receipt, Goods issue & Transfer posting, Invoice verification.

LSMW

My Question is

What is my next career change?

How to start?

Is possible to become a SAM MM consultant / else?

I'm a B.Sc Computer science graduate.

Thanks,

Ramesh Pasupathy.

<<moderator - personal contact details removed>>

Message was edited by: Colleen Lee - maintain your SCN profile if you want people to have your phone number

7 REPLIES 7

amira_rashed
Participant
0 Kudos

dear Ramesh,

Kindly  check the below links .

thx.

Amira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Ramesh

good day

firstly You cannot transform yourself from a fresher to an expert SAP Consultant in overnight.you need more handwork and more efforts.

Is possible to become a SAM MM consultant / else?

How to start?

yes you can but please drow your target and don't Despair you must fail and after that success

1. you now have certification in MM and this is the start of your journey.not the end .
  2. Configuration Skills are the most important skills for any SAP Consultant.
  3. at least read 5 documents /blogs every day on SCN it have many experience and topics posted by SAP consultant
  4. follow SCN material management module  and Read each document and Blogs

please read this document

What is my next career change?

Do not stop investing money on you, and stop thinking that you are doing a course for a job,Would I get a Job? Can you give me some interview questions? believe me if you invest money on you , you will find this invest in your experience in your C.V

please read this document   it is very good for you written by Mr. this document i learned from it more and more .

Regards

Nassar

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh

From a practicality point of view is there any opportunity with your current employer to move into a Support role for MM? In doing this, you would extend your end user skills as a super user or a support consultant to troubleshoot. It get you more exposure to reviewing configuration and going beyond end user procedures.

As a natural progression, you might then have an opportunity to join a project or upgrade or even perform some testing. Over time, you could progress into configuration and design work.

Good luck with it and don't underestimate the skills you have obtained in conjunction with your training.

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen, I can relate to your answer.

I am planning to get to be a member of a Center of Excellence/Expertise (CoE) after an SAP solution is planned, executed, implemented and running in a few years from now.  Then I would think that working in this CoE area would provide me with the experience, which could lead towards a valuable marketable consultant skill.  I would like to combined general MM and GRC as a special combo skill, but currently I know little of both in the SAP context.  Any suggestions?

This week-end I get an "into" book from George W. Anderson, Ph.D. "Sams Teach Yourself SAP in 24 Hours" (Fourth Edition).  Obviously, I will not believe the premise of this title, but you got to start somewhere (baby talk...)! 

0 Kudos

Hi Richard

That's great that you are getting to be part of a CoE. It means your company is trying to take the support environment serious with a standard. Yes, it is an example of moving from business background into SAP via support.

I had a chuckle when you mentioned that book. I bought the same title (though methinks 1st edition) about 10 years ago when I was at university and wanted to know all things SAP. I also bought SAP for dummies and a few others). I love my books, however there is a heap of other content out now.

If you are trying to prepare yourself for your future role then you might want to obtain a free SAP Learning Hub Discovery Edition Account (go to training.sap.com or SCN Training space for information). You can then get access to free course content (full subscription costs the equivalent of a 3 day training course but gives you all SAP course material). Anyway, the Discover (aka free version) does contain a few business process overview and getting started courses. At same time, you might find it worthwhile to invest in the full version.

Getting a functional background (i.e. MM) with GRC can be quite useful. End of the day, a large part of GRC is risk management. Within Access Controls you have Access Risk Analysis which is about segregation of duties and mitigating this risk. If you know the module and the processes then you will be in a better position to interpret risk. Process Controls is another section (I have little experience on).

As you are joining a CoE you will get a lot more hands on training and have a better chance of finding your way through experience and opportunity at the time. You will also get system access which will make learning a whole lot easier!

Good luck with it all

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Colleen for your feedback.

1.  I just wanted all to clarify that I am not yet in a CoE, I am "on loan" from the business to corporate in a pre-project effort.  In a few years from now after the project is over I hope to be in the CoE as a permanent member of that team.

2.  As for books I am old fashion, I got it at Chapters over the holiday season just because I did not want to be on the net for a few days.  Yes, I have a "s-user" account, but did not really used it yet.  I should make more time for that after working hours.  Another book I have with me from the library is SAP Implementation- Unleashed by again George W. Anderson, Charles D. Nilson and Tim Rhodes - "SAMS A Business and Technical Roadmap to Deploying".  You indicated that "you might find it worthwhile to invest in the full version".  Do you know how much are we talking about?

4.  I think that the GRC module should be grounded in real functional business challenges be it MM or else. Process controls do you mean WF (workflow)

5.  As for SAP "system access" I cannot wait to get to play in a SAP sandbox.  Can someone tell me if one be downloaded for free to run on a small PC?

Thanks for your time

Richard

0 Kudos

Hi Richard

1. You are on "loan" - sounds like you are in at the right time and bringing your business knowledge in. Try to remain on loan as much as possible so that you are part of design workshops, see the system demonstration and try to get access to a Sandpit/Playpen system. This way you will get the chance to learn from the consultants. By the time you get to CoE you will be a go to person and know the solution inside out. If it is a large project (when you say a few years - it may mean the work is delivered in releases. This mean you might have production with a support environment up within the first few months to a year so it could be sooner than you realise).
  2. For books, you can also look at the SAP Press Site to see official published content from SAP - you can purchase in hard or soft copy. The books you  have,however will give you basic overview of the ERP. For SAP Learning Hub - go to training.sap.com for your country and look for HUB* course codes. You will see a Customer Edition Version. This is 12 month subscription to all of SAP course material. Again, recommend you look at Discovery first to see if you like the style before you invest . If you go to SCN training space you will see quite a few articles discussing it.
  3. (Your 4) Yes you are correct - GRC is about managing risk. Like security, if you do it at the end of defining your business processes then you are generally stuck doing administration patching. It's always better to design the business process to remove segregation of duties risk, etc. For example, you don't want someone having the ability to create a vendor and raise a purchase order (they could update vendor details and change the bank account to theirs and then buy a fictitious service)
  4. (Your 4 part 2) Process Controls is around automated monitoring of a process to see if there are compliance issues. A lot of companies might focus on fraud and segregation of duties but an inefficient process can actually be more costly. If you google or go to GRC space, you will find some overview information of what Process Controls is. The other module that is part of the GRC component is Risk Management. Within the GRC portfolio there are some other solutions like Fraud Management (powered by HANA)
  5. Playpen - you might get this on your project. The alternatives is to purchase SAP Live Access (extension of learning Hub) or search google for SAP IDES to see if you can obtain a trial copy and install it yourself (this last option would be for ERP MM and not GRC). I recommend you find out what your company is doing in the preparation phase of the project as installing and setting up a SAP system at home is quite tedious (must admit, I outsource such a thing to my partner and make him do it)

Regards

Colleen