cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REST adapter or OData adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All

I have recently read a blog about release of REST adapter for SAP PI for consumption and provisioning of rest based services.

Previously there was also OData adapter .

Whts the differnce? Still do we have both or only REST adapter.

Please clarify

Regards

Sandeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep

Based on the following blog by Alexander Bundschuh, both REST and OData adapters are available.

REST is an architectural style and and is not strictly limited to one particular protocol. Any service that conforms to the constraints of the architectural style can be called a RESTful service.

OData on the other hand is an OASIS standard that defines best practice for building RESTful APIs.

In short, you could say that OData is a subset of REST.

In terms of the adapters provided by SAP, I would say that you would use the OData adapter if the service you are consuming is a specific OData RESTful API, while you would use the REST adapter for other non-OData RESTful APIs.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Eng Swee

So it means i can use REST adapter also to get data from OData exposed using netweaver gateway on ECC...

Regards

Sandeep

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep

If it is exposed as OData, I would think it's better to use the OData adapter as it might provide you OData-specific functionality. If I'm not mistaken, you should not need additional licensing for the OData adapter.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee

Thanks for the reply

Yes will try using both and need to check the difference.

And REST adapter  also doesnt require additional license but Its avialable only  7.31 SP14 / 7.4 SP09 and its not downward portable.

Regards

Sandeep

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198060
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Did you try out both Adapters? I wonder what the differences are and if you can consume ODATA on the REST Adapter.

Also, is it possible with any of the two Adapters to be an ODATA Service Provider? Or can we just consume ODATA Services?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Currently the OData adapter supports only receiver channel. Which means we can only consume OData services with the OData adapter.

For exposing your OData services, there is a new add on component with the latest release of PO which is known as the Integration Gateway. This works in a similar fashion to the SAP Netweaver Gateway but with limited functionality.