cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Fields, Wrong string length display?

former_member208901
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are writing a Crystal report based on Oracle database. In Crystal designer lot of database fields are displaying wrong length compared to actual lengths defined in the database. Is there any reason for mismatch between Crystal and database? I have attached a screenshot of some fields from Crystal, Week_number is showing as 4000 characters length where as database side that field is 10 characters.

Is there any way we can make it real length in Crystal?

Thanks

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See this:

--dj

former_member208901
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for your attention, i am not looking to display 4000 character string. If you read my question,We are having trouble with mismatch between string length between Database and Crystal?

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venki,

What database driver do you use to connect to the Oracle Database?

Make sure you're using the 'Native Oracle Server' driver.

-Abhilash

former_member208901
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash, I am using Oracle native driver to connect to the database from Crystal. I also have tried with connecting through ODBC connection but there also it's behaving like that.

Is this behavior(length mismatch) cause any performance related issues?

If we run the same report query on Toad it's taking ~10 minutes where as in Crystal it's around ~50 minutes!

Thanks

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shouldn't take this long if the same query takes significantly less time on Toad.

Have you Joined the query in question to another query or table in the report?

-Abhilash

former_member208901
Participant
0 Kudos

No, it's not been joined to another table. Report has few sub reports based on the same query but we are passing ID values to sub report from main report. Sub report query is fast in msecs with the filter based on that ID.  Report shouldn't take 50 minutes.

I was just wondering, fields which are showing 4000 characters length in Crystal bringing any junk characters to report? Because database side they are just 8 characters.

Thanks!

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Subreports could tremendously slow down a report - especially if they're placed on the Group Header/Footer or the Details Sections.

A Subreport sends as many queries to the database as there are Details/Group Sections (If that's where it's placed).

How long does the Main Report's query take when it is run separately as a different report - I'm pretty sure it would take around the same time as Toad.

-Abhilash

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What version of the Oracle client are you using and what version of Oracle is the database?

-Dell