Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Out with the Old and in with the New?

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to all!

I retired about two and a half years ago and mostly stopped participating in the forums (mostly ABAP). A few months ago I was asked by my former employer to go back to work under a casual contract. I did that and also started participating in the forums again. I think it's a good way to sharpen some pretty rusty skills.

Anyway, I've noticed a few things have changed while I was away:

To me, the most noticeable change is that moderation seems to have changed. In the past, a moderator would decide on his or her own whether a post should be locked. When locked, the moderator would generally add a reply indicating who locked it and why. Now it seems (and I can be entirely wrong here - let me know if I am) that when a member flags a post, it immediately disappears from view. I suppose that a moderator then makes the final decision whether to keep it hidden or not. But the problem is that the post and replies simply disappear with no further feedback. This was a bit annoying to me when I took part in a conversation about calculating the number of months and days between two dates. I realize that date questions are generally basic and ought to be locked, but the point I was making was that date calculations are not always simple when you include months) and you have to be careful about the order of operations. You can get two different answers. But then the discussion moved beyond that when I suggested some OOP methods that give a better chance of getting the answer you actually want. Then another poster disagreed with me saying that the methods I suggested didn't help. Fair enough, but then the discussion disappeared without warning.

I've also noticed that there seem to be a lot more basic questions allowed and that some posts offer promises of points. On the other hand there do seem to be more "good" questions.

Sorry - this seems more of a rant than a question.

But am I off base?

Rob

Tags:
Former Member
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question