cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM publisher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all ,

I am working on MDM publisher, I have made some families in Family Mode and I am able to see them in the Publisher. I have installed QuarkXpress 7.0.1 and also made the some Publications using various properties.......

My question is ....when I right click on any publication that i have made and select publish..it asks me for the format(quarkX in my case) and paper module(whats this...any way selected local)..and then ok...nothing happens?? What exactly should happen when i select publish??Where i can see the published data??

what is paper module??

Also what is the indexer? What it should do ??

Regard,

Ashwin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashwin,

MDM only supports Quark up to version 5.0.1. You will not be able to publish to Quark 7.0.1.

The paper module is just looking for where the layout server is installed. Most likely this will be on the local client PC.

Once you have the correct DTP software (Quark 5.0.1 or InDesign CS or CS2) you must first open the DTP software before trying to publish. It will then just start publishing the data out.

The Indexer will allow you to create catalog indexes. It will pull data back from the published piece into MDM. So for example, once a catalog is done in InDesign you can set the paginated state from InDesign which would push back page number information from the published piece. Then the Indexer would allow you to assign the page numbers to products listed in the publication in a fairly automated process.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply...by now most of things in the publisher are clear...However i stil have a doubt regarding MDM indexer.....

What significance the indexer has got .......becoz when i opened the indexer....it just asks me to create the new index and add publication to it. After that what i found is it just provides me the option of publishing ....if the same publication can be published in the publisher...what exactly do we achieve the after creating index and then publishing it...what business significance it has got ??

It would be really very helpful if someone could throw some light on it.

Regards,

Ashwin M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashwin,

The Indexer is helpful for creating indexes for large catalogs. If you publish a 100 page catalog you can use the Indexer pull the information back from the published document. My experiences with this are for creating indexes for large product catalogs. Once all the items have been layed out on the pages in InDesign you can set the paginated state in the document. You can then use the Indexer to create an index relating to what parts, categories,... are on each page. This can then be published out separately and added to the original document as an index for the catalog.

Hope this helps show some of it's capabilities.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

What i have understood is:-

1.u have to make various publications in publisher.

2.u need to install any DTP software say Qxpress or Adobe InDesign CS or CS2.

3.u make a template or something like that(not clear of this step).

4.u import that template and use it in publishing a particular publication.

5.u publish ur publication using paper module (is it the same that has been given with the MDM setup under Mac_paper_modules folder)

However, my question what exactly do u see and where exactly do u see once u publish.

It would really b helpful if u cud guide me on that..

Regards,

Ashwin Mahajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashwin,

1. Correct, the publications are first created in the Publisher.

2. Yes, you need Quark 5.0.1 or InDesign CS or CS2.

3. Yes, you can import a template created in Quark or InDesign, but you do not need to in order to publish.

4. Yes, you would import the Quark or InDesign template into the Publisher.

5. The paper module it is looking for when publishing is actually the Layout Server that needs to be installed. You can just install it on the local PC. The files in the Mac_paper_modules folder are actually the DTP plug-in's to use on a MAC computer.

Once you select the option to publish it should just publish whatever is selected to publish from the publication created in the Publisher. It will show up in whatever DTP software you are publishing to, Quark or InDesign.

Hope this helps,

Tim

former_member189059
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hello ashwin,

to make a template in InDesign, open a new document (File -> New -> Document)

u may or may not create a frame (to do so, use the Restangle Frame Tool - 4th row first tool from the toolbox)

then go to File -> Save As and choose the type as Adobe InDesign Template and save it

you can import this template from Publisher

..reward helpful answers