cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BODS Client Tools(4.2) and Repository(4.0)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a repository of 4.0 version and upgraded my client tools to 4.2 on my local machine , if i log into repository using 4.2 designer its throwing an
error

"Error: Cannot run Version 14.2.3 of the product against the earlier version 14.0.0 of the repository. upgrade the repository to version 14.2.3 or
later"

I’m not sure why just client tools are not backward compatible with earlier repository.

any suggestions ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Upgrade your repository with the DS Repository Manager.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Derk, Thanks for the reply

my sever version is 4.0 and repository version is 4.0 and try to login to repo using 4.2 desinger and getting this error. if i use repo manager to update it will give message

"The local repository is up-to-date".

my question is why 4.2 Designer is not working for 4.0 repository.

Thanks

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To avoid any type of problem, DS client and server must always be the same version, down to the patch level. I've seen very strange behaviour in cases when they were not.

Your only optiona are to upgrade your server to the same level as the client and upgrade your repository; or deinstall your client and reinstall the 4.0 version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

i will uninstall(4.2) and reinstall(4.0).. Designer is just GUI like SAP Logon pad. i have just upgarded sandbox and go live is in another 5 months. users are working in DEV box with 4.0 version. if they want to test their jobs in Sandbox they have to upgrade to 4.2 Designer and to continue their regular work in DE box they have to down grade to 4.0 again.. every time doing this is very painful and waste of time.

Designer should be backward compatible with previous version repositories.

Thanks

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are plenty of good reasons for not supporting backward compatibility. If you really think DS Designer is comparable to the SAP Logon application, you haven't understood and seriously underestimate the sheer power of this full-blown GUI development environment with integrated metadata repository, data connectivity layer and run-time environment. I would recommend you to have a closer look at the SAP Data Services Designer Guide. Just a quote from section 2.1 Version restrictions:

"

Version restrictions need to be taken into consideration when using the Designer. Your repository version must be associated with the same major release as the Designer and must be less than or equal to the version of the Designer. During login, the software alerts you if there is a mismatch between your Designer version and your repository version.

"

The repository does not only contain metadata about the objects you develop, but also about internal DS structures and content. A simple example: when you start DS Designer, the repository is read to fill the Local Object Library pane in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, including the Transforms tab. Suppose you start the most recent DS Designer version and your repository is still 4.0, without any metadata on the Data Mask transform that was introduced in DS 4.2 SP3. How do you expect the GUI to sync with that repository version?

Anyway, we don't install DS Designer on our clients anymore, for many years now. Use Citrix or a WTS or a Remote Desktop Connection to the DS Server to get around your problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dirk for your detailed explanation .   I will look into the other options and check the designer guide too.