cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity Leveling question - heuristic

Former Member
0 Kudos

we use capacity leveling with backward scheduling only and one of the behaviors is causing problem and not liked - I understand there is nothing wrong in the system but any body faced a similar problem and have any ideas please share ..

pls let me know should you need any further information - I can think of using Badi to influence this behviour

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think you can achieve it by using capacity leveling with optimizer. If I recall correctly, optimizer will not move the order (order size bigger than the available capacity in the bucket) to the first bucket, right after the production horizon. It would leave it there at over-utilized.

Thanks,

Satyajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satyajit -

You are right about the Cap Leveling optimizer. The problem in using optimizer is that it doesnt support some functionalities of heuristic like product priority .

Also some times the optimizer runs for long time but coudnt find an optimal solution

At this moment I am not seeing many options other than proposing optimizer with whatever functionalities it supports .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

One question,  why do you (I mean your client) need this? This is more of a master data issue. You can always restrict the max. order size by maintaining a max lot size! So that you don't face this type of issue (I guess planning run with monthly bucket doesn't make much sense here with the actual planning schedule).

Anyway did you check the capacity leveling optimizer functionality in details? With newer SCM version, theres a lot of flexibility in optimizer. I am not sure if these are available for capacity leveling as well. Can't check at this moment.

Runtime with optimizer might be a problem, when we plan with discreat optimizer with lot of constraints (like min. lot size, integral lot, transport lot, storage space, capacity ...) applicable and number of bucket is very high (say planning in daily bucket for 6 months).

But I guess with capacity leveling optimizer, run-time should not be a big deal.

Please let us know about your final approach on this.

Thanks,

Satyajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

One question,  why do you (I mean your client) need this? This is more of a master data issue. You can always restrict the max. order size by maintaining a max lot size! So that you don't face this type of issue (I guess planning run with monthly bucket doesn't make much sense here with the actual planning schedule).

Thanks Satyajit - Its not only a matter of how much big the order is - which is placed / accumulated in the first buckets - no accumulation should happen- for ex if i specify the lot size as 50000 , the orders can accumulate util 50000 and it is not accpetable for business - if we decrease it much then we will interfere with the actual functionality where genuinely there is capacity available for 50000 units but cant place because of the master data we maintained

there is not much change interms of limitaions in the latest cap leveling optimizer - I checked the help on latest version

Runtime with optimizer might be a problem, when we plan with discreat optimizer with lot of constraints (like min. lot size, integral lot, transport lot, storage space, capacity ...) applicable and number of bucket is very high (say planning in daily bucket for 6 months).

But I guess with capacity leveling optimizer, run-time should not be a big deal.

whatever i mentioned in my earlier reply only applies to cap leveling optimizer - we dont have snp optimizer and not intent on using it - currently only heuristics- so there are no constraints / costs maintained at all - cap leveling optimizer calculates costs automatically

the capacity leveling optimizer itself is taking lot of time -and still gives sub optimal results meaning leveling is not fully completed - still buckets left with overloads and under 100% utilization in prior buckets with available capacity

thanks for the good analysis -

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

But why you are not working with the combined backward & forward scheduling direction?

Thanks, Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius -

We dont want any orders to be moved to future - accommodate them before the actual receipt date or we are even ok to drop them completely

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

In this case you have a problem with your capacity! You have to increase it! 

Thanks, Marius

rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

Is there any BAdi is activated in your system for capacity leveling?

Which scheduling type are using forward scheduling: backward scheduling?

Are you using any Planning Buckets Profile during leveling?

Have you used"Level fixed orders" option ?

Are you using any period factor?

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rupesh for the initial analysis

Is there any BAdi is activated in your system for capacity leveling?

No

Which scheduling type are using forward scheduling: backward scheduling?

Only Backward

Are you using any Planning Buckets Profile during leveling?

no

Have you used"Level fixed orders" option ?

yes

Are you using any period factor?

yes-it just places the order on first day of the week