cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total vs Detail Trend line Graph in Design Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DS gurus,

I'm using Design Studio 1.2 version and have a requirement to show/compare a trendline graph of total values w.r.t detail values of different category. Here are the attached my Trendline graph and Data sets.

This is how the requirmenet goes

1) I have a drop down of various categories like Vendor, Equipement, Material (refer dataset attachment)

2) The trendline graph needs to compare total values (of all categories) w.r.t a selected category (value from drop down). refer the graph attachment.

3) I have only one measure in my data set. I want to display that as two different data points in the trendline graph(one for Total and one for the selected category).

When I select a value from the downdown, the total also changes accordingly. I like to keep the total values unchanged when I select a category. Is there any way we can do that in DS ?

It's easy in WebI, where we can create a variable measure for a the selected category and we can use the total and the variable in the graph as two measures.

Please let me know if you have further question.

Regards
Saubhagya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Saubhagya,

that should be possible with the setDataSelection option in the script or using the DataSelection option in the properties - depending on what you would like to do.

here is a script - I don't have Design Studio running right now, so no 100% guarantee.

Lets say you have a crosstab and a chart and you would select the two rows in the crosstab.

on the onSelect event for the crosstab you could add something like this:

--------------------------

ChartSelection = ChartSelection + CROSSTAB.getSelectedMember(<Your item here>).internalKey + "|";

var FinalSelection = ChartSelection.split("|");

CHART_1.setDataSelection({

"<Your item here>": FinalSelection

});

----------------

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ingo for the quick response. I think Array concept is there in 1.3 onwards. We are now in 1.2.

Would like to hear from others if they have done any such requirements in the past.

Regards

Saubhagya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saubhagya,

Theoratically, you should create a data selection in such a way that, the Total field is always Displayed, while you dynamically select the second chart value.

For the totals i suggest you to create it in the data source itself

Regards,

Fazith Ali Z

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Fazith Ali Z,

Yes, we can create two data sources, one for summary(which will be fixed) and one for the category. But how do we display both data sources in one graph? My need is to display a comparision line graph.

I don't see a Union query option in universe data source. I think that could have been helpful.

Regards

Saubhagya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In regards with Design studio, you should make it in a single datasource. I am not sure how to do it in Universe level though.

One more option would be to overlap two charts, but it will be very difficult to do.

Regards,

Fazith Ali Z.

Answers (0)