cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BO Tomcat war files deployment on another machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have installed the "SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence" platform 4.1 SP4 in one server 1.

we installed with default "Tomcat" web application server, everything works fine as expected.

After that we are having a requirement to maintain web application servers separately.

So, we installed "Tomcat 7" in server2 . Tomcat installation and testing everything works as expected. we are getting tomcat home page after the installation(by launching "http://localhost:8080/")

After that we copied all the deployed .war files from "D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\webapps" server 1 to "D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps" server 2.

Now, the problem is after copying all the .war files we restarted the tomcat services and trying to launch the "http://localhost:8080", we are not getting any response, page showing "Waiting for the localhost". we reconfirmed all the java settings and everything are set to as before. we have stopped the existing tomcat services in server 1 even then the tomcat home page is not showing anything from server - 2.

Kindly help us in this concern, we are in between the our production SAP BO Upgradation.

Thank you.

Regards,

Harsha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We some how managed to work with above deadlock situation.

1. We have installed SAP BO 4.1 SP04 on Server - 1.

2. We have installed Tomcat - 7 (downloaded from internet) on server - 2.

3. We have copied all the deployed .war files from server - 1(D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\webapps) to server - 2 (D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps) folder

4. We need to set Java values properly under Java tab of Tomcat. Please find below screenshot for the same. You need to do all the below changes in Server - 2(Tomcat machine), you need to stop the Tomcat on Server - 1(SAP BO Machine). The issue that we have faced issues is in allocating memory size to tomcat. If we set appropriate value for that, then you tomcat will work absolutely fine without any issues. If you are going to use Windows\SSO you may need to add some other Java command Lines.

Java Options we have used to work in our scenario:

-Dcatalina.home=D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0

-Dcatalina.base=D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\endorsed

-Djava.io.tmpdir=D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\temp

-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager

-Djava.util.logging.config.file=D:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\conf\logging.properties

-Xrs

-Xms32m

-Xmx1024m

-XX:PermSize=64M

-XX:MaxPermSize=512M

-Djava.awt.headless=true

-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5

-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=20

-XX:+PrintGCDetails

-XX:+UseParallelOldGC

Please reply back to this thread, if you have any other concerns.

Thank You.

Harshavardhan Konathala.

vamshidharmitta
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Copying the deployed .war files from server1 to server 2 is not ideal. You should copy the wdeploy,webapps and installdata folder from server 1 to server 2 with the same directory structure installed on server 1.

Once the JAVA_Home is set on server 2, deploy the webapplications using the wdeploy.

For more information please refer  "To deploy web applications on a remote machine" section in Web Application Deployment Guide

Thanks,

Vamshidhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vamshi,

We have a similar requirement.

BI 4.1 sp5 platform has been installed on a windows server.

Now we are trying to have the webapps deployed on a dedicated tomcat server.

1- Per the document from SAP we will copy the required directories form server1 to server2(tomcat)

2- But having done the first step Do we still need to run the installation program again on tomcat server for webtier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you perform an "SAP BO Web Tier" installation on another machine (of the same patch as the base CMS tier install) you won't need to copy any files/folders over, no additional steps.

If you only have a standalone Tomcat on another server, the key pieces you need for BO webapps to be accessible are:

1. Web applications from the server machine (assuming it also has a Tomcat and webapps).

2. The separate Tomcat needs to have the necessary Java options, JVM path, classpath, etc. set

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhar,

Thank you for your quick reply. To make our the installation scenario more specific.

- Installed platform BI4.1 Sp5 on a windows machine. While installation i selected that I would do the webapp deployment on a separate dedicated tomcat

- My platform services are installed successfully.

- I have two dedicated linux servers where tomcat is already installed(not the one installed with BI platform)

- Now as you mentioned above if I do vise versa, don't install the web tier in tomcat but rather create required directories in tomcat server and copy the stuff from platform server and run the wdeploy command as mentioned in webapp deploy document will that work.

Thanks

Pallab

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your Windows server, if you did not select the WebTier components, chances are you may not have the webapps present.

Can you check if you have a. A Tomcat folder, b. Web applications insiden the "wdeploy" folder?

If yes, then just take over the war files or web applications and use wdeploy to deploy remotely.

If not, you WILL need to have the web components on atleast one server from where you can use these folders, war files, etc.

Best bet is to do a Web Tier installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is what i have.

- a tomcat folder inside my Installation directory i,e BI

BI/tomcat

-There is a webapp folder inside /BI/tomcat and i can see the webapps under it

-But there is no tomcat folder inside /BI/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0 folder

As Vamsi suggested above Here is what I have planned for further steps per the deployment document from SAP and please correct me

"wdeploy,webapps and installdata folder from server 1 to server 2 & 3(2 and 3 are tomcat servers) with the same directory structure installed on server 1(windows server).

Once the JAVA_Home is set on server 2 and 3, deploy the webapplications using the wdeploy.

My question now will be

- as i have the tomcat installed on a different path ex: app/tomcat/tomcatBI4

should the directory structure be created under this tomcatBI4 or can this be cretaed outside /app and just similar to the directory structure as windows server where platform is installed.

-

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Harshavardan,

I am working on same scenario. I have implemented all the steps involved in this. But I am not able to access CMC and BI with server name. But login page loading from the localhost in the server2. But when I am accessing with server name getting blank page.

Could you please help me with your experience, did I miss any thing here?

Thanks

Venky

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mean to say:

a. you can access CMC, Launchpad login pages when run from the web app server directly using Localhost in the URL.

b. You cannot access these pages when you use the actual hostname from a browser on any other machine?

You can:

a. Add the tomcat server name to the hosts file entries of other machiens.

b. Add the tomcat hostname to "trusted sites" in IE settings.

-Sid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harsha

Did you manage to resolve your situation with the second server deployment and if how? You didn't get back to this thread.

Regards

Pat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It would be necessary to go through the documentation provided by Ajay.

The best way to go about this is install a WEB TIER installation of the same BusinessObjects patch level.

Run the same setup on server2 and select "web tier" in installation type.

This would be the correct way for using SAP BO web applications on a server other than where the CMS resides.

----------------------------

Ideally you could also copy the deployed web applications in the webapps folder from server1 to server2 (not the .WAR files).

http://localhost:8080/ is the Tomcat home page - this is not indicative of the web application's on the system and whether they work.

Try http://SERVERNAME:8080/BOE/CMC to see if CMC works, or /BOE/BI to see if Launchpad works.

The Tomcat logs will show if Tomcat itself has started or not.

In Task manager, Tomcat7.exe or tomcat.exe should have a sufficient RAM allocation and the CPU usage should be stabilized at 0% when it is not being used.

-Sid

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Harsha,

You can NOT just copy the WAR files to another server and do deployment.  You need to install the WEB tier on the Tomcat server, here are some link that will help in splitting the Tomcat and even creating bridge with Apache if needed.

MOST Important is the Admin Guide:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbo41/en/sbo41sp5_bip_admin_en.pdf

Section 3 on Architecture

Regards,

Ajay