cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4C : how does outlook connector work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm new here and my enterprise is looking for using C4C over its own ERP.

I search for technical documentations about the outlook connector and how it works, to see if it's compliant with my firm security policy.

Unfortunately I don't find what I want, so I still have many questions: how can the outlook heavy client on the user personal desktop synchronize its data with C4C ?

• Does it go through the Exchange central server ?
    • If yes which impacts on the central service? Shall we deploy something specific ?
  • Is it a direct and independant flow between the personal desktop and C4C ?
  • Which protocol / port ? Can it be encrypted ?
  • How is the user authenticated on outlook concerning the connector part ?
    • How his rights are checked to get only relied data ?
    • Is there a deported authentication possibility through the connector?
    • Can the user's token on C4C be reused for the outlook connector? Shall the user re-enter his user/pass even if he is still connected to C4C?
  • Who does between the two nodes initiate synchronizations ? Both ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Raphaël

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

pushkar_ranjan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  • Does it go through the Exchange central server ? – The C4C Outlook add-in accesses data from the C4C system by calling web services with the user authentication same as the one used to login to the C4C system
    • If yes which impacts on the central service? Shall we deploy something specific ? – Nothing specific needs to be deployed on the exchange server
  • Is it a direct and independant flow between the personal desktop and C4C ? - Yes
  • Which protocol / port ? Can it be encrypted ? <TBC>
  • How is the user authenticated on outlook concerning the connector part ? – As mentioned above, the Outlook add-in requires the user to login with the user credentials same as the one in the C4C system, Single Sign On( SSO) can be configured as well, if an Identity Provider(IDP) is being used
    • How his rights are checked to get only relied data ? Access Rights to objects is configured in C4C via access restrictions setup for the user, they are considered in the web service calls made by the Outlook add-in(which has same user credentials and so the same access restrictions)
    • Is there a deported authentication possibility through the connector? <TBC>
    • Can the user's token on C4C be reused for the outlook connector? Shall the user re-enter his user/pass even if he is still connected to C4C? The user needs to enter his credentials even if he is connected to C4C
  • Who does between the two nodes initiate synchronizations ? Both ? Synchronization is bi directional. Contacts, Calendar appointments, tasks are synchronized in both directions, C4C data like opportunities, leads etc, is read real time from the C4C system and displayed in the add-in