Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW 7.0 SP 23 master data deletion functionality

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I came across  this on SCN "

"Although the new Master Data Deletion has been available for some time now (since BW 7.00 SP 23), it was never the default version in the system. This implied that the BW System Administrators needed to switch it ON explicitly

"

I am using SAP Bw 7.0 SP 23.. when I usually delete large amount of master data it gives me dump. Can anyone suggest how to switch On the new functionality for master data deletion..

Regards,

Rahul S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

You can find all information in SAP Note 1370848 - New Master Data Deletion - Information.

It gives also an answer to your question:

Switching it ON/OFF - The new version of the Master Data deletion can be switched ON/OFF by accessing the menu Settings -> Global Settings in the DataWarehousing Workbench. Under the settings menu, the check box named - 'Pack.Mas.Data.Del' can be used to turn the new Master Data Deletion ON/OFF. The new version is switched ON by the selecting the checkbox.

Best regards,

Sander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just One query.. After deleting the data in background using the above functionality. I can still see data in master data table. Please help

Regards,

Rahul S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just One query.. After deleting the data in background using the above functionality. I can still see data in master data table. Please help

Regards,

Rahul S

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Although the functionality of master data deletion has been enhanced, some basic principles did not change, One of the most crucial ones is that the master data may not be used anymore, e.g. in an InfoProvider. These checks are always performed prior to deletion to avoid data inconsistencies.

I suggest to analyze the application log "where-used list" to identify master data which is referenced somewhere in the system and cannot be deleted. There are various search modes to run the program either in foreground or background. E.g. search mode "O - Only one usage per value" (i.e. the default setting). These search modes and other recommendations are described in the above mentioned SAP Note.

Best regards,

Sander

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I understand that now...

I used the background function. I checked the logs. I see the data is being used in info providers hence not deleted.

Regards,

Rahul S

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Exactly, you got the point. Master data deletion is always a difficult subject because master data is the backbone of the BW system and might still be used in different places.

I hope that you are able to find the right strategy for master data deletion. For sure, the enhanced features of master data deletion (also in background) will contribute to a better and faster process.

Best regards,

Sander

Answers (0)