cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving - SAP HANA Native Stand Alone

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there any Archiving mechanism or tool available in HANA Native or HANA Stand Alone (we are not using BW on HANA and NLS is not an option for us)?

We have a HANA box with Information Models which replicates data from ECC to HANA Stand Alone using SAP and reporting is done through Analysis Office BO tool.

I have two questions -

1. What happens to data in which is archived in ECC? For example I have data from 2011 to 2014 and I move to year 2015. Now data of 2011 will get archived in ECC as we move to year 2015. But how to manage that 2011 data in HANA. Do we need to manually delete this data or SLT automatically syncs and deletes that as it gets archived in ECC?

2. We also have external source of data in HANA. We ideally want to archive 2011 data within HANA or outside HANA as this is coming from external source and in case it is deleted, it will be a permanent loss as it will not be even available in ECC archives.

Your quick reply will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhishek_singh11
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Shiwesh,

The answers to your questions:

1. What happens to data in which is archived in ECC? For example I have data from 2011 to 2014 and I move to year 2015. Now data of 2011 will get archived in ECC as we move to year 2015. But how to manage that 2011 data in HANA. Do we need to manually delete this data or SLT automatically syncs and deletes that as it gets archived in ECC?

Answer:

From the SLT Operations Guide, section 5.2 I can see the following statement

5.2 Archiving Data in Source Systems

The trigger-based replication also considers the deletion in source tables by archive activities (since it is not possible to distinguish on the database level between delete actions cause by archiving versus regular deletion of data records). As a consequence, SAP LT Replication Server will also replicate archiving activities as delete actions in the SAP HANA database.

Hence, SLT takes care of Deleting 2011 data in HANA.

2. We also have external source of data in HANA. We ideally want to archive 2011 data within HANA or outside HANA as this is coming from external source and in case it is deleted, it will be a permanent loss as it will not be even available in ECC archives.

Answer: Yes, if you delete the data without taking a backup from HANA, it will be permanently deleted.

Thanks Much,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Many thanks...the information above is really helpful and answers almost all my queries.

But could you tell me for point number 2, if we have any formal archiving mechanism of HANA data?

Is dynamic tiering introduced in SPS09 is the only option or alternative to archiving?

Does SPS08 or SPS06 also have something of this sort which can be used for archiving of HANA data?

abhishek_singh11
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can go through Smart Data Access to access your data saved at some other DB/location. You can try NLS as a storage DB.

Please refer to SAP Note 1868209 for restrictions for SDA.

Thanks Much,

Abhishek

abhishek_singh11
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

The pic attached should clear all your doubts.

Thanks Much,

Abhishek

Answers (0)