cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grouping Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have some issues in groping my records.My grouping is based on four tables respectively, namely Project,Pay_Item,Sub_Pay_Item and Project_Work_Item. Project_Work_Item holds a Project and items from Work_Item and Sub_Pay_item used for a project.

Here's the format:

-Project A------[based on project id]                                                       -Project B------[based on project id]

-1200------[based on pay item]                                                            -1400------[based on pay item]                                                               

-12.01------[based on sub pay item]                                                  -14.01------[based on sub pay item]

-12.01-(a)------[based on work item in Project Work Item]                    -14.01-(a)-------[based on work item in Project Work Item]

I Joined the tables using right join and i get results for the work items. I also wanted to view the result for the sub pay item since it can be used for a project.   

Here's the format i want together with the work items

-Project A------[based on project id]                                                      

-1200------[based on pay item]                                                        

-12.01------[based on sub pay item] 

-sometimes there may not be a work item here

since pay item can be used directly.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

From your example, it's visible that you have records with sub pay item values without pay item and work item details.

Check by creating a sample report with just pay item and sub pay item tables with an outer join on pay item column, so that you can confirm whether there are any sub pay items without having pay item detail.

Also, there is no join between Pay Item and Sub Pay Item tables in the screenshot you have shared. Isn't that required?

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

• I have sub pay item values with a pay item detail but not work item since they are used directly from sub pay item table.
  • I have the sub pay items with their respective pay item detail,leaving the work items having no pay item and sub pay item details with the following join and result.

• It raises an error saying Database Connection error:If tables are already linked then the join type can not change.

Any thoughts on that?

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have Pay Item Details for each Sub Pay Item, then those should be displayed as second group as per your grouping irrespective of whether you have Work Item value. But those are not displayed, so there might be a problem with joins you have created between tables.

As for as your error message concerned, that happens when you have tables with circular links. That is, Table A, Table B and Table C are joined based on same column.

Check these links for more info:

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can't seem to figure out how to join the tables to get the right result frankly. I tried writing the SQL on the database first but same result gets displayed.

I haven't gone through this issue before,can you help me on that?

Thank you

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you share sample data for all columns for all 5 tables?

What are the outer joins you have currently used?

Also, if you are allowed, please share the report with Saved Data.

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos
Project idproject nameoverheadprofit margin
po1sample project1015
pay itemdescription
1400Office, Laboratory, Accommodation
6400Bituminous Road Bases and Surfacing
8100Foundations for Structures
9400Road Signs
pay itemsub pay itemdescriptionunit
140014.03Items measured and paid for by lump sum
140014.04Services
140014.05Vehicle for Engineer and his staff
640064.05Base layer construction
810081.01Site InvestigationsLsum
810081.32Cast in situ concretem3
810081.05Back fill to excavations
pay itemsub pay itemwork itemdescriptionunit
140014.0314.03( i )Office equipmentLsum
140014.0414.04 (a)Fixed CostsLsum
140014.0514.05 (a)Vehicle Type Ano.
640064.0564.05 (a)60/70 penetration grade bitumenton
810081.0581.05 (b)Imported material m3
project idwork item
p0114.03( i )
p0114.04 (a)
p0114.05 (a)
p0164.05 (a)
p0181.01
p0181.32
p0181.05 (b)

I don't know how to share the report with a saved data. How can i attach?

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have replied to your email with changes at report level.

Please check and confirm.

When all the required columns have data without any NULL values, can you tell me why you still want to go for outer joins?

Any specific requirement?

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghavendra,

Items are used from two tables for a project. I think you haven't noticed that items 81.01 and 81.02 from sub pay item table were used for the project.

The only reason I'm using them is that they have a unit,which are few. I can move them to the work item table and use a proper join instead.

Answers (0)