cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populating extension fields: BAdI vs Direct SQL Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I would like to ask for opinions and best practises about approaches in populating SAP tables extension fields.

Sometimes it is necessary to extend tables with some custom fields (ZZ-fields). The necessity comes from costumers requirements when standart tables fields do not cover all the data that should be stored.

Then, those extension fields should be populated with data. As added fields are not standart (Captain Obvious ), it is not possible to populate those fields by standart FM's

As far as I know, it is recomended to use Business Add-Ins (BAdI's) and then extentions in BAPI. But is also possible to use direct SQL updates to extended tables via special FM's.

Another point is standart fields, which unfortunatelly are not supported in BAPI's. In example, it is not possible to update LIKP-BOLNR via BAPI_OUTB_DELIVERY_CHANGE as field BOLNR is not provided in BAPI's structures.

As for me (I am SAP MII Developer) it is more comfortable to use direct SQL updates, but I am no sure is it good approach.

So can you please provide your thoughts about approaches and best practises according to my question?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Vitaliy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gubp
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Never do direct SQL updates on standard tables. This may cause inconsistencies and SAP will not support them!

You can either use old FM WS_DELIVERY_UPDATE2 or Enhancements (like EXIT_SAPLV50I_010) on BAPI_OUTB_DELIVERY_CHANGE.

Bst Regards!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo,

Thank you a lot for reply.

You are definetly right about direct edition of standart tables. I just wanted to figure out the best way for populating enhancement fields. And since I've started this thread I have had lots of duscussion with different experts about this. All of them as one told me the same (just like you) - direct table edition is the worst approach, use enhancements.

Now I have no doubts and clear vision of solution.

We used the same enhancement as you advised and this approach has solved the problem!

Thank you again!

Best Regards,

Vitaliy

Answers (0)