cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving objects from base universe to linked universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

we have few custom objects in base universe and want them to be moved to linked universe . original thought was to delete the object from base universe and re-create it in linked universe. But this would mean i would have to look at all reports referencing the object and re-map them.

Is there a better way to achieve this move without having to re-map in all the reports.

Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member59613
Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the problem you might have is that behind the scenes, your documents use IDs to reference objects.  Deleting the original object will not work as that would remove the CUID and any newly created object would get a new CUID.

You could maybe cut and paste the objects from the base universe to the linked one, but the problem there is that you would be changing the data provider of that object as far as the webi document is concerned.

I think with linked universes, you get a separate data provider for each linked universe.

So the base universe would be DP0 and the linked would be DP1.  In the Webi document, the objects would be listed something like this:

DP0.O1

DP0.O2

DP1.O1

DP1.O2

And these might be linked to CUIDs.  If you delete the objects in the universe, you break the CUID piece, and if you move the objects, you might be breaking the DataProvider reference.

I don't know the answer for certain, but I'd say there is a good chance you will not be able to move these objects without fixing up the reports.  Generally you do not want to delete or change objects in a universe after report design has taken place.  Adding is usually fine, but for the most part, you want your universes finalized before report design for this very reason

Thanks

Jb