Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales order number as project definition number

former_member218251
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all

The SAP system I work in, is used to create consulting orders (order to project) and investment projects (project only).

For the investment projects there is the requirement for a project coding mask. For the consulting orders I want to use the sales order number to be the same as the project number.

For what I know, when you do not create a project coding mask, the sales order number is taken automatically to be the project number. However, this is not applicable for us since there is a requirement for the investment projects.

There is no way to link the coding mask to the project profile, so that option is not applicable too.

I have entered a validation rule, to set the coding mask to ' '. The result of this is that SAP want to use the standard WBS number to create the project with, thus resulting in an error.

So, what I am left with, is lots of frustration for now. Do I really have to create an enhancement to get this done? There must be a way to do this using standard SAP.

We are working with EHP4, perhaps in EHP5 there is a (default) solution?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As part of Professional Services there is functionality called CPI, Commercial Project Inception.  This will automatically create a project from a Sales Order through a Standard WBS, it will also use the Sales Document Number and Item Number in the number.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is the way I accomplished it for many years.

former_member218251
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We are on EHP4. CPI is only available from EHP5.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member218251
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I have got the sales order number as the project number now.

You do have to create a coding mask, and the default SAP coding mask (for us) was too long, as also in all documentation is the case (documentation tells you to create a mask with 10 numbers).

I have now a coding mask as follows: /000000000-000000/XXX. With this, SAP does recognize to use the sales order number as WBS coding. With one more 0 (as per SAP default and documentation) this does not work......

Also, this is still too long: There is now another 0 behind the sales order number. And the item number is not filled. I will try this week if I can solve this by removing another 0 from the mask.

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you would need a small ABAP development here to achieve this.

Create a Z Object in SNRO for Project Number Range.

Get it validated against the Project Profile ( Investment Management).

Hope it helps..

Regards

Sammar