cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alphanumeric number range

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Kindly let me know if its possible to create alphanumeric number range in OM and PA modules? If so kindly let me know the procedure

Thanks in advance,

Nisha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for being very blunt here, but:

Changing the data types in any standard number range for crucial fields like personnel number can only have one justification: creating a never ending stream of income for system integrators and so called consultants. You never know in which upgrade, new module, new UI, changed interface it will come back to haunt you big!

Numbers in number ranges are just that: numbers. Giving them any meaning is a concept of the 1970s and should have been routed out by 1995. If not done yet, you should focus your energy on this rather than modifying a system that could be modern in a way you'll lose almost all rights for standard support within your licence fee.

Ok - another rude reply from me, which won't make me friends - but the only reply to let me comfortably look into the mirror tomorrow.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not rude at all. Blunt and direct at worst. At the end of the day though, completely correct.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions, will recommend the client the same.

Sanky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

Close the thread with answer marking.

Regards,

Sankarsan

Sanky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

Don't go with any custom creation for number ranges.

For the bifurcation of the number ranges sap uses object type and by this we can understand that this number is for which object type and it's always unique.

So talk to your client and say about SAP's design and how it will help them and how it's bifurcating from one item another item (like organization unit, job, position etc).

Regards,

Sankarsan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

No, we can't create alphanumeric no. ranges for OM objects and Employee no. ranges.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Praneeth,

Is there any possibility to do it with ABAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, standard system is take only numeric.

rajkumarnarasimman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

In ABAP, we can create alpha numeric number. In order to do that, it is required to create new FM/Class for generating the alpha numeric number . Please find the link below.

Alpha Numeric Number Range (0000 to ZZZZ) - Code Gallery - SCN Wiki

Note:

This code will generate new number when the user passes the current one, it is required to maintain the current number range in some table like TVARV.

Example:

Input - AAAA,

Output - AAAB.

Regards

Rajkumar Narasimman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

But these we can't do for OM Object and PA Personnel Employee no. ranges.

it allow only 4 char but we assigned 8 digit codes in OM & PA for no. ranges.

rajkumarnarasimman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praneeth,

We can increase the data type range with few modification in coding. It is nothing but a zobject(zclass), we can increase the length of the variable based on the requirement.

Regards

Rajkumar Narasimman

former_member186667
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

Creating alphanumeric number range is not recommended and not possible by the standard tools.

Regards,

Liran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Liran,

If its not possible in standard, can we customize and do....?