Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primavera Integration with SAP

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We are interfacing Primavera (P6) with SAP PS. We need to import data from P6 to SAP PS and then upload . We want to do it with ABAP tools only as we are not going to buy any middleware software due to cost issues. I want to know from you about the approach and technical considerations of this import of data to SAP.

Please share your views on how we can achieve this data import.

Thanks & Regards

Saurabh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please look into implementing SAP EPC.

https://help.sap.com/epc20?current=plm

If you want a robust interface between P6 and SAP you will spend more time, effort, and money trying to do this yourself with BAPIs rather than putting in EPC.

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ken.

Can you please give me some highlights on how EPC 2.0 works .

Is it a completely separate tool to purchase and do the complete implementation ?

Regards

Saurabh

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

EPC, Enterprise Project Connector, is a SAP product.  I believe it is a separate license.  Contact your SAP Account Executive and they can arrange a demo of EPC.

EPC facilitates the transfer of data between P6 and SAP PS using standard API's.  It provides a 2-way interface between the systems and  can be used to create/maintain PS structures to keep it in sync with P6.  You decide what data is synced and what system is the leading system and which is the following system.  Typical scenarios is to have the structure and schedule maintained in P6 and costs planed and captured in SAP.

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

What's the extent of integration between Primavera and SAP PS?

have you agreed upon the method of updating the database whether you are going to use IDOCS, BAPIS, flat file?

Is the integration real time or batch job?

I hope these questions are already thought through between you and the Primavera guys..

Cheers

Sammar

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

Thanks for your response.

The extent to which we want to integrate is that at initial level we will be fetching WBS activities and their  schedule and relationships into SAP.The contraints are that : Live data from P6 will be imported into SAP weekly so if I did first import one week before and thereafter I deleted one activity in P6 then next week I do import again in SAP then this activity should be deleted in SAP also .

This data fetch will occur once in a week and it will be a manual activity.

I would prefer to go with BAPI's . But still I want to know which is the best way for it?

Regards

Saurabh

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

how do you control this change in structure in weekly uploads? What if in the one week gap someone has posted some actual or a PR/PO is created using the activity or WBS? How often do you see this kind of change happening in project structure?

What's the control mechanism here?? I think BAPI's are the way forward. maybe you can modify the standard update BAPIs and check for the structure which is being updated and check the statuses of the Objects. If REL don't delete or something.. Just thinking Out loud here

Regards

Sammar

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

Initially they will not be creating PR/PO using the NWA .During the course of time, I will put a logic to validate such key points during data upload.

May I know please what do you mean by control mechanism? Can you list few points on it.

Moving forward, I want to know if there are any std. BAPI's to extract and uload this data transfer?

And how do I interface from P6 (I mean the technical key joints from P6 to interface with SAP)

Kindly suggest.

Regards

Saurabh

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh

By Control Mechanism I meant the following:

1.What will be the protocol for error handling if for any reason the updates fails in SAP?

2 Whats the mapping between Primavera Project and SAP Project Is it One to One? or One to Many?

3. Who will be authorized to upload the data into SAP? As you said it would be a manual activity.

For the BAPIs I think you can use the

bapi_PROJECTDEF_CREATE & BAPI_BUS2054_CREATE_MULTI with commit bapi at the end to create the Project and wbs elements..

On Technical points  I am not too  sure what should be looked at.. don't have hands on experience on the PS-Primavera..

Hope it gives you some pointers to get started with your integration..

Regards

Sammar