cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating UI5 libraries in local trial Web IDE - How?

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've been playing with the WebIDE for quite a while now, and while it's looking very promising, there is still no sign of an update for those who want to run it locally (while the hosted version has been updated multiple times). In addition, there is no "free" option to get official patches (yet alone use it officially). Hence, as I was building a UI today, I hit a bug with UI5 that is resolved in the latest version (to do with groupHeaderFactory in XML views failing for reference) and wondered what I should do.

I thought it might be simple to update the UI5 libraries within the Orion/Eclipse folder, but it's not set-up the way I'm used to seeing UI5 libraries so after a very short exercise, the trial ends and I'm back to using Sublime and IIS for development. Oh well, nice while it lasted, but would be nice to get proper support for using Web IDE (especially as an independent).

But to the initial reason for this discussion: Any ideas how I can address the version of UI5 libraries (noting that there must be a strong dependency with the WebIDE itself seeing it runs on UI5).

Cheers,

Matt

ps. Hosted versions are really not an option for my scenario.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

You should be able to create a destination that points to the version you need.  After generating a project you can then modify the neo-app.json file to change the two sapui5 routes.  On both, you would change the type from a service to a destination and possibly the name and the entrypath.

Regards,

Jamie

SAP - Customer Experience Group

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Jamie. I'm working on a different project right now, but that indeed, should at least get me around the problem.  That said, it sounds like anyone doing Web IDE development probably should be doing this anywhere since it's almost certain that the version you are developing for will be behind the Web IDE (assuming you're not still on the now very old Trial version (sorry - Had to have a dig at the lack of updates for the trial version)...

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Just to follow up, I did make these changes by adding a new destination to my neo-app.json like follows:

{

"path": "/resources2",

"target":

{

"type": "destination",

"name": "latestui5"

},

"description": "Latest UI5 Resources"

},

I then added the destination file to my config:

Name=latestui5

URL=https\://sapui5.ap1.hana.ondemand.com/sdk/resources

ProxyType=Internet

Type=HTTP

Authentication=NoAuthentication

And changed my index.html to use resources2 instead of resource (and obviously restarting).

Afterwards I could test the app with the new UI5 libraries.

That all said, for some reason it was (even after multiple refreshes with cache not disabled and the WebIDE returning lots of 304's) - it was terribly slow - I mean like it would take 30 seconds to display a very basic ui5 App so not sure if there's a better way of setting up the config file for better performance. Note - The UI5 resource above is located only a couple of thousand kilometres away.

Anyway, at least I can test the scenario which is broken in the trial UI5 libraries now, though not really feasible to use it continuously.

Cheers,

Matt

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One final note - I downloaded the latest SAPUI5 libraries (via the my previous approach of extracting them from Eclipse); and put them locally within my IIS, and it ran perfectly (sub 2 seconds).  Definitely something funny with the way it loads files when they are hosted on the web though

Answers (0)