cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I need some idea from you regarding a situation.

Can we record different characteristic for same Batch in Standard SAP. If not, any idea on how to achieve this?

The reason for this: Client creates a Lot for the SFG to be used at the time of Inquiry from Customer. This lot has different parameter like Size, Color, Quality and Stone etc. I make a PO to purchase this lot say 5000 nos.

First GR done for 3000 pcs, and during GR I also need to maintain the Carat for the Lot.

For Second GR, I need to use the same Lot and receive 2000 pcs and the Carat.

So, the Lot will be one, however, the Carat will be different both time. Will activation at Plant Level work in this scenario. There is only 1 plant.

Have tried through Batch Specific UoM. Though once the Parameter are recorded it does not allow to change in the Second GR.

Regards,

Lakhya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakhya,

Building on Jurgen's comments, you could consider using batch specific UOMs with a series of characteristics like:

• GR1 Quantity
  • GR2 Quantity
  • GR3 Quantity
  • GR4 Quantity
  • Etc.
  • GR Total Quantity

Make this last characteristic the batch specific UOM and set up an object dependency to calculate this characteristic automatically with the relationship GR Total Quantity = (GR1 Quantity + GR2 Quantity + GR3 Quantity +...).

I'm sure you will have a few details to work out but I think you can probably make a scheme something like this work for you.

I hope that helps.

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dave for the idea. Any example on how I write the dependency would be of great help. I have got an example from a document though. If not available, I will work on it to try.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakhya,

I'll outline how I would do it, but I definitely recommend you read the article Jurgen shared as that explains step by step what to do.

Let's say we name the characteristics as follows:

• GR1_Quantity (with description = "GR1 Quantity")
  • GR2_Quantity
  • GR3_Quantity
  • GR_Total_Quantity

The object dependency would look like:

$Self.GR_Total_Quantity =$Self.GR1_Quantity + $Self.GR2_Quantity + $Self.GR3_Quantity

and so on for as many individual receipt characteristics as you created.  There is one potential thing to look out for.  I am not certain (without actually testing it) whether the above object dependency will work with a null (i.e. blank) value in any of the characteristics.  If it does not I recommend you prepopulate all of the characteristics with a value of zero so you don't have any null values.  Then just populate the actual receipt value when you perform the receipt.  Otherwise you would have to write a rather complicated set of object dependencies with a bunch of logic looking for what characteristics have values. 

I hope that helps.

Dave

sudeep_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest to go for different batch for different characteristics. if the vendor gives the materials with same batch, you can maintain this in "Vendor Batch".

Regards,

Sudeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The situation is a bit tricky here. Same material is received at the same batch no of times. Each GR can have thousand of small gems. So, during GR, Total No of Gems received and its carat weight is captured. During issue both carat and no of pieces is also recorded.

Each GR will have same batch number but with different Carat weight. Vendor does not provide any batch.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the vendor does not provide any batch, then it is just your own business, so I really wonder why you want to stay with just 1 batch for 2 receipts, especially as they have different characteristics.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Correctly analyzed .

The characteristic that differs is only the weight per receipt. Sizes may differ by fractions but it is not possible to track all sizes for such huge number of gems.

It is required so that we capture all the GR only in a single lot with weight per batch. Client want to capture all in a single batch number rather than multiple batches as it will be difficult to keep track. Say two lot of 10,000 pcs are received and is kept together in the same gem box not batch wise.

However, I have another option too. Each Lot defines a particular material. Here I can manage to agree the client that let the batches be different..................

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want 2 receipts and just one batch, then you have to built a total for the characteristics and need to maintain them manually in MSC2N after you did the second receipt.

How do you sell that material? as a entire batch or again in small portions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Those materials are used in making the FG. Like a bangle/ear ring can have multiple stones

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is actually the purpose of using batch management for those items? if you remove a partial quantity from the batch, then the valuation of your characteristic becomes wrong, isn't it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need multiple unit too. First GR is done for 1000 pcs having 1500 carat. So, per pc wt is 1.5 ct per pc (average). Next GR is done for 1000 pcs having 1600 cts. Here per pc wt is 1.6 ct per pc.

Now system should show a total weight of 2000 pc with total ct as 3100 an average of 1.55 ct per pc.

The main concern is during issue, I issue 100 pc and weight it in actual. I need to maintain in issue that 100 pc issue with 150 ct.

Stock status will be adjusted accordingly. Sloc 0001: 1900 pc 2950 ct.

To cater this batch management is done.

JL23
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, exactly landed there. But unable to "Take Off".

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe an illustrated instruction is needed, check

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A batch is the lowest level in SAP inventory management to distinguish stock

Having different characteristics would usually mean different batches.

There is no other way to achieve what you want.

Plant level will not help you as you have only one plant, and on the other hand it is not easy to just switch to other batch levels. If you use other SAP components like APO you should not even have the batch level at plant level.