Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

process implemented in SAP, now some configuration changes

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

After implementing a process, during hyper care or after hyper care (say after go live to 90 days) have you done any alterations to the process, some configuration change and what was the business reason for it.

One example - Return process and functionality - reference mandatory (activated, deactivated and then after initial period again activated)

Thanks!

TW

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

We have to make changes in processes after Go Live as per company's requirement. Sales return reference mandatory is very common example. When a company implements SAP and they start using it then they realize that they have missed some processes or some processes need to be changed.

I had this experience in my previous role where we used to follow credit note posting through FB75 directly from FI. There were some cases of miss-use of this transaction and business people asked SAP team to implement controls in it. We configured it through SD with document type CR and implemented approvals (Billing block). This is one example. There are many others as well.

From what perspective you are asking this?

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moazzam,

Please give more examples. Thanks!

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

We had a process in CS (Customer Services) that when we receive some defected spare part we scrap that material with a movement type and upload that in scrap material type with some other movement type. User had post two movement types separately.

I searched and found 411 movement type. After some testing and GL assignments I proposed this new process and business agreed to adopt it and it saved time and efforts of users.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam,

From your first post, in the first process, Finance department must have created the documents for the credit process. In the second process, CR (SD module) which department(s) created the documents (cmr, cm)?

In this new process, was it in CS or in SD (with movt type 411)?

TW

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter - all questions in one post

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

In first process the CMR was created by sales department and CMR was created by Accounts and Finance.

In 2nd process 411 movement type was part of CS. It only shortened the time efforts within CS.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moazzam,

Thanks!

Many times, after business users (really) work with the newly implemented process, they come up with "short comings". This gives rise to "add ons" (changes, new CRs) in these processes.

It will be better to benefit from past experiences and propose to client, before hand; in order to minimize these kind of "short comings". That is the reason for this thread.

In one of my projects, I proposed cancellation of billing to be included, the key user and team did not want that. So, the process went live without the functionality of cancelling a bill. Then business users came back with a request to incorporate this too. Thus we did add this during hyper care period.

Coming from a non-technical perspective, communication and involvement of the "relevant" stake holders is so important. It is another thing that mostly business users treat this (testing or UAT) as low priority (probably something to do with the management and their "appropriating priority on other tasks).

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

You are right about this. Most of the times client doesn't understand the after effects and long run impacts of the configuration. That is why I always emphasize on support consultant' role in consultancy. This is because a support consultant can foresee the impacts of system.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam,

Thanks for your post! As always, these are valuable!

(about this ongoing discussion about support consultants ) not sure...not all support consultants can see the impacts (or the impacts which can happen in the future). Not all support consultants get to know the business processes, they tend to get issues at a particular stage of process, thats it!

So, as we know, it depends upon the consultant (or that individual / user - key-users are also sometimes very knowledgeable). The will to grow in a "focused" way or orientation may be the (one of the) keys!

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

Like all the fingers are not same, all consultants don't have this ability. I shared what I feel personally because I've spent 5+ years in support role and now I always foresee the impacts of any process/configuration that I make in system. I wish everyone do this

Thank$

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will keep updating this thread with business scenarios related to "add on" configurations and functionalities, to an implemented (go live) process. This will help the community.

marking this thread as assumed answered, for now.

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That would be a nice gesture by you if you are going to keep this thread updating and I hope this thread is not going to be locked by moderator if it gets updated after quite some time.

Thank$