Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is actual job role of ABAPer in company ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I wanted to know the job role of ABAPer in company.

I had switched my company over a months ago, and I am getting  work like debug standard transaction(I feels like punishment) and understand the logic and decode this logic into excel and create HANA views.

Is that the way to decode standard SAP programs??

@ Moderator : I am confused where to post this question, so I approached here to get advice from experienced ABAPer.

-

Regards,

Amol

14 REPLIES 14

former_member620069
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The role of an ABAP'er covers pretty much anything that involves system & application code: understanding / fixing / optimizing / hacking ABAP programs - custom or SAP.

In your role, you never know what you will be assigned to next...

Who else is going to debug & understand standard SAP code, if not an ABAP'er? It's not easy, but you learn a lot. It really improves your German as well.

cheers

Paul

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am ABAPer, but its seems to be weird to debug standard huge  code decode it and make it new HANA view..

-

Regards,

Amol

0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Being ABAPer we need to debug standard code many time in order to check the existing functionality and replicate same in custom.

It will definitely help you enhancing your debugging skills which the most important for ABAPer.

0 Kudos

Hello Archana,

Debugging standard code for part of logic its ok. But debugging complete SAP T-code and converting into documentation is it right?.

0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Its our job to do what they have asked us to do. Its in your hand how you do it, you can do it in a smart way instead of debugging each and every line of the program, as standard program goes into n number of includes and ultimately you feel lost.

ST05 is a good way of analysis as mentioned by Eitan.

0 Kudos

Hi Archana,

Thanks for pushing out my laziness..

lets see how's my punishment turns into achievement .

-

regards,

Amol

0 Kudos

All the best Amol

rosenberg_eitan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with the punishing part , Some time I wish SAP code would be hidden (.exe) .

Looks like what you are doing is reverse engineering to create HANA views .

You can use ST05 to find which files are used when you call a transaction .

In ST05 there is an option to summarize by SQL statement (I find it very useful)

regards.      

0 Kudos

Hello Eitan,

I presume that, you had also gone thr' same kind of punishment .. part of jok..

Can you please explain me more about ST05, I mean the exact way to do it.

-Thanks,

Amol

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Some times we do have to debug standard code in case of malfunction or to find out how to use function or class but I never encounter a situation where I have to dissect a full transaction .

The point is that it seems that this way of development in IMHO not efficient because you might be losing the big picture.

As for ST05:

Do a google using search operators: 

site:scn.sap.com ST05 find files used

Also:

regards.      

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'll move this thread to the Careers space, where it belongs.

(It would help the mod's of SCN out loads if people could alert moderators on content like this, which is posted in the wrong space, as well as answering.)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol

Based on you asking what and  how to use ST05, it sounds like you are quite new to SAP. If not, am surprised you are not familiar with tracing. I am not a ABAP developer but based on your questions and feeling like you are performing repititive and mundane work that you are at the very beginning of your career.

Although I do not write code, I debug quite a bit (getting access to an ABAPer for me is difficult). It is a very good skill to have. Although you are debugging SAP standard, you will find over time Functional Consultants ask your for assistance to help them identify if there is a bug or configuration issue. Your efforts here (even if boring) assist them in raising SAP Incidents in the Marketplace and providing details to SAP to fast track (we like to hope) a solution Unfortunately, SAP standard is not perfect and the ABAPer is invaluable.

Other activities (if you did you training) would include writing custom programs and possible assisting with apply Notes (released in response to incidents) to the landscape. You may become responsible for data dictionary changes (as part of notes) or reviewing and investigating code to improve performance.

In short, there is a lot more to development than what you are doing. However, it sounds like you need to go through the baby steps with the basic before you move on. Converting code to HANA compliant sounds like a good opportunity for experience and future career growth.

To make your job a bit more interesting, when you look at the code ask yourself if there is a different or better way to write it. Observe how it is written, etc. Then when you get the chance to progress to coding, you will be in a better position to write quality code (custom programs written by poor developers can be the major cause for negative system performance).

Regards

Colleen