cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sender and Target SI are both Outbound

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I was wondering, what happens to the message if you use an outbound SI for your sender and an outbound SI as your receiver?

The rest of the build is the usual: message types are right, correct sender and receiver communication channels, ICO. However, when I checked the the SI that was being used, I noticed that the same outbound SI is used as both sender and receiver interface. What kind of error will appear in PI (if any error will) should this configuration stay as is?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yvone,

A service interface can't be outbound and inbound at same time, it's not PI thing, it is basic principe of the a message communication. However, you can avoid to use any mapping if you are in PI 7.1 or uppper.

On the other hand, you can use a communication component in the ID like sender or receiver because this component can act like sender or receiver, it can contains outbound SI's and inbound SI's.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Iñaki Vila

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Iñaki,

Thank you for the reply. And, yes, I am aware of that this is not something that should be done. However, say theoretically, this was done and tested, would you know what happens to the message if this were the configuration used?

I'm curios because I tested the build and it behaved in the same way a correct build would - "no scheme" error due to the lack of a target url.

NOTE: We're using PI 7.4 single stack. And, we still don't have a target url because we haven't received any communication regarding what the url is. So, we just placed <TBD> temporarily. This is why even interfaces built correctly ends up with the "no scheme" error.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>>However, say theoretically, this was done and tested, would you know what happens to the message if this were the configuration used?

If you assign the outbound interface as inbound during the configuration,

you won't be able to assign any transformation(mapping) but your message should get processed without any issues.

It's like defining a dummy interface but as you are defining the structure in ESR, maybe you should be able use "schema validation" feature.

>>>we still don't have a target url because we haven't received any communication regarding what the url is. So, we just placed <TBD> temporarily. This is why even interfaces built correctly ends up with the "no scheme" error.

May be you can simply develop a simple file 2file scenario and see how does it go.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

RaghuVamseedhar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yvonne,

SAP NetWeaver Application Server, expose services. Every interface is a service on the server. When those services are called, SAP Application Server performs the stipulated action (execute the program which is designed to handle those requests).

What does the service accepts? What does the service return? Where does the service reside on server?

This type of details are defined in WSDL. WSDL is an agreement between requester and server, 'what to send to server and what to expect back', 'which program to execute on server'.

"The Web Services Description Language (WSDL) is an XML-based interface definition language that is used for describing the functionality offered by a web service."

Service interface in ESR is a WSDL (without Concrete Section 'which program to execute when service is called'). When configuration in ID is done 'Sender Agreement' will have the WSDL (with Concrete Section).

It is not mandatory for requester or the server, to honor the WSDL. WSDL can say something, but requester can send what ever he wants. WSDL can say something, but server can do what ever is written in the program on server (Concrete Section 'binding, service, port, program').

How to send any data (even binary) through XI, without using the Integration Repository. WSDL can say it accepts XML, requester can send image, pdf, txt, video. Using Java mapping OR no mapping, PI can handle image, pdf and provide response OR perform some action(if WSDL validation is enabled, it will fail).

In short, SI can say anything. Request can send anything. But still request response can be successful, 'have to program on server accordingly'.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yvonne,

Correct me if i misunderstand something. You have one Service interface in the ESR, for example SI_MyInterface, this interface only can be outbound or inbound, the ESR doesn't let you to define it like outbound and inbound at the same time. However, you want to know what will happen if you take this interface defined for example like outbound and you put it in the ID like inbound one, isn't it?.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Iñaki,

Yes. The SI is defined as outbound. However, I would like to know what would happen, if, theoretically, you used it like an inbound SI in ID, and then, you sent a message throught.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yvonne,

Depending your scenario you can get an exception or not. If you have a file to file scenario without operation mapping involved you won't get any exception, even you don't need to define them in the ESR. But normally, you will use an operation mapping and you can set it in the ID if you have the Service Interfaces wrong specified in their respective side. However, you can define your ID without operation mapping, in this case i don't know if you will get any exception, i hope so,  we can wait for this case to another SCN member that had tested it.      

Hope this helps.

Regards.