cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several Tape Backups Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Does Maxdb Support Backup to Tape with norewind I mean doing the backup to /dev/rmt/0n or /dev/rmt/0c because I cannot make it work in any of those, but it does work to /dev/rmt/0c.

2. When I do a backup to tape /dev/rmt/0c does maxdb write the eof to the tape? Or must I do it myself?

This is the error when I try norewind tape either with /dev/rmt/0n or /dev/rmt/0c

2007-04-04 11:25:57 106 ERR 11000 d0_aopen filetype found tape norewind, required tape rewind

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 52012 SAVE error occured, basis_err 3700

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 3 Backup Data backup failed

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 1 Backup + Backupmedium #1 (/dev/rmt/0cn) Wrong file type

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 6 KernelCo + Backup error occured, Errorcode 3700 "hostfile_error"

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 17 SrvTasks + Servertask Info: because Error in backup task occured

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 10 SrvTasks + Job 1 (Backup / Restore Medium Task) [executing] WaitingT114 Result=3700

2007-04-04 11:25:58 30 ERR 6 KernelCo + Error in backup task occured, Errorcode 3700 "hostfile_error"

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

up!

Former Member
0 Kudos

1.Can I make a link that points to /dev/rmt/0n on the filesystem and make a backup to this symbolic link as file ??

Example I make a link called /backup/data that points to /dev/rmt/0n then I make a medium as file to /backup/data and try to make a backup there or will Maxdb realize it actually is a no-rewind tape and fail to do it?.

2. I make my backup normally to /dev/rmt/0c when the backup ends, what happends if I manage the tape at Operating System Level example , mt eom, mt eof, Can I later recover the backup I made with Maxdb?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

to the 1. question:

the supported way would be make a backup to the real file which you can afterwards put to the tape. You can try your way but in this case we don't guarantee that the backup vs. recovery will be successfull.

to the 2. question:

if I understand you right you will try to simulate no-rewind tape with OS tools. As the using of no-rewind tapes for backup and recovery is not supported by us it is your own risk for testing and establishing such kind of backup/recovery.

Regards,

Oksana Alekseous

Former Member
0 Kudos

I put another follow up question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

please check the FAQ note 822240 about the use of external backup tools. All external backup tools which are supported for MaxDB are listed there and where you can find more documentation about it. Also the note 767598 contains the links to the MaxDB documentation.

Best regards,

Oksana Alekseious

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

MAXDB cannot write to norewind tapes, as it is unable to control norewind tapes. It doesn't know where the tape starts to write a backup, and therefore, while restoring it wouldn't know where to start reading from the tape.

Regards,

Ashwath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashwath :

I see, so If we choose to continue backup up with maxdb , we should only use this tape for data backup and the logs backup should go to another tape, since if we copy the logs with the tar command to the tape it would became unreadable for Maxdb?

What Backup Software would you suggest for Maxdb with SAP , Veritas? Are there others ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I ment

This is the error when I try norewind tape either with /dev/rmt/0n or /dev/rmt/<b>0cn</b>