cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duration for Repository Chech in

Former Member
0 Kudos

We work with PD 16.1. One of our models has a size of 250 MB. We need 4 minutes for check the model in the repository with the proxy. We do this five time a day.

But when we migrate to PD 16.5 we get a big problem. We need more than 30 minutes for check the model in the repository with the proxy. This is too much time.

What are our experience with the performance?  Is it ok for you?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Did you get any solution to this problem?

We are in a very similar situation with version 16.5 latest patch level.

I have a PDM model (about 15MB) with 900 tables and the check-in to the repository takes about 100 minutes.

While with PD15.3, using the same machine, with the same db server, it takes about 7 minutes.

The database is MSSQL 2008R2, the machine has 8GB RAM, the disk is SSD. And PD is using about 200MB RAM only.

Any thoughts/solutions?

TIA,

Gabor

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

I saw this issue before.

One customer has SQL Server 2008 R2 in Singapore. His Powerdesigner 16.5 users located

in US. Proxy server is next building to the database server.

When a user tried check in, the performance was terrible.

The solution we provided is from Powerdesigner installation document:

Optimizing Repository Reads with Snapshots

To ensure that all users reading data will get access to a snapshot and not be blocked by concurrent

transactions, we recommend that you enable the following SQL Server

Options

ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION

READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT

Note

No users should be connected to the repository when you enable these options.

0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately that doesn't help, I already set those options.

What is worse, I created two repository in SQL Anywhere and tried to check-in the same model.

The result is the same, for PD 15.3 it took about 4 minutes, for 16.5 it's about 1 hour 40 minutes. (Most of it is CPU usage without any I/O or db operations).

I created a tracefile for the SQL Server and it seems that during the check-in, PD is using the database at the beginning (doing about 1000 SQL statements within the first 0.5 seconds) and then waiting for more than an hour.

Very disappointing.

I stripped all "extra" from the model, now it contains only tables (~900) without any mapping, extension, etc.

Do you have any other idea?

0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Do you use Proxy ? It's preferable to use Proxy connection

2) You try it with two differents DBMS. It seem your model is "corrupted" when you migrate from 15.3 to 16.5.

Could you try this :

a)

Open in 16.5 your 15.3 model,

click on powerdesigner verify function,

correct errors,

save-it,

re-open in 16.5

check-in your new physical data model

b)

Open in 16.5 your 15.3 model,

Generate logical data model from your physical data model

Delete your physical data model

Generate physical data model from logical data model

save-it,

re-open in 16.5

check-in your new physical data model

0 Kudos

Hi Benoit,

1. I tried tested it both with and without proxy.

The results are the same.

2. I also tried both version with both of the DBMSs, to check if the problem is DBMS related. And the results were similar; version 16.5 very slow and 15.3 good.

The original model was created in version 16.5, so there was no migration from 15.3 to 16.5.

Still your hint about the model being "corrupted" sound resonable,

I'll try both option a) to verify (with "check model") the model and b) to create a new model and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Gabor

0 Kudos

Hi Benoit,

You were right!

1. I created a Logical model from the original physical

2. Created a new physical from the logical

3. Merged the extended attributes from the original physical to the new/regenerated.

4. Checked in the new physical

And the results:

The complete check-in of the regenerated physical took less than 2 minutes!

Thanks for the idea. You're great!

Gabor

0 Kudos

You're welcome. It was a pleasure

On the other hand, if you have a moment, trying to revise each of the points I listed above to improve the time of check-in / check-out. The use of proxy is a must, like the other items listed. Every tweak is a must to reduce the time. To the delight of use PowerDesigner it is necessary to reduce this time 2 minutes. Otherwise it become an irritant for users.

For most of us volunteers in the community. So that the contributor can get his points would be more appropriate to start a new conversation. This will not be the case because you are not the owner of this one. Next time!

Good weekend

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

DIrk,

Some simple questions first:

Did you upgrade the proxy server and repository to 16.5? Or are you testing on another database instance?

if you are on the same database instance, has a DBA fully tuned it (e.g. statistics updates, etc)?  Is regular maintenance an ongoing process?

Even if this is a new database instance, is it virtualized or limited in any way.

The point of my questions is that normal care and feeding of the repository DBMS apply.  PD has no control over this process.  From tuning of the DBMS to configuration of the connection, PD is just another client to the database server.

To illustrate: If you were checking in a 250MB model in 4 minutes previously, then the DBMS was running at approximately 4,000 transactions-per-second (250MB =~ 350,000 metadata objects @ 2-3 SQL statements per object for check-in in a couple of large transactions).   The DBMS must have the OLTP performance of a transactional trading system!

Now you are running 8 times slower.  So something has changed. There are too many variables to determine the exact cause, from from DBMS file placement (disk contention) to virtualization to network performance to DBMS transaction logging and caching to good statistics, etc.

you need to check your environment first.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per incident 958287, the memory usage has changed after PD 16.1 and is now

up to 10 times higher compared to 16.1.

Checking out models in PD 16.5 SP03 or later can be between 5 to 10 times compared to 16.1.

So it works as designed as per engineering decision, and any other user should experience

the same troubles.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dick,

A) For maximum efficiency install the Proxy on the same server as the DBMS

B) If this is not the situation. At least install the Proxy on the same network node as DBMS

C) Make sure that the log files are not on the same disk as files of the DBMS or operating system. To avoid I/O contention,

D) Did you set up the proxy cache level?

E) Did you set up cache at PowerDesigner 16.5 client?. Be sure to specify a local drive rather than a network drive.

F) Make sure there is no much firewalls between PowerDesigner, the proxy and the DBMS.

G) Do you have network performance problems with other programs? Make sure there are no latency too high at the network level. Given that PowerDesigner must perform hundreds of thousand transactions to DBMS.

H) You didn't specify your DBMS ? Oracle v?, MS SQL Server v? You have specific parameters to set if you use MS SQL Server.

I) I would never have accepted even with PowerDesigner 16.1 to wait 4 minutes to make a check-in. To reduce the time I would have subdivided the model into several parts.

J) Regarding the check-out. Make sure that the default diagram is empty (Create a blank diagram and set as default) - no symbol. PowerDesigner take much time to draw especially if your first diagram has many symbols.

K) If your problem was when saving (incremental saving) a large model in the repository,Maybe the problem occur because the model contain diagrams with many symbols that are overlapping on each other. You must organize the diagrams so that there is NOT OVERLAP.  You will a huge difference. The problem is know of SAP.

L) I suggest you to use PowerDesigner 64 bits with 6Gb of memory. . So he can use all available memory of your PC rather than being limited to 2GB and having work with the swap file of Windows OS.

M) If you use a laptop do not forget to check that you are not in power saving mode. If this is the case it reduces the CPU speed and the speed of access to memory.

Bye

Note : Your evaluation of my answer would be appreciated - Examples choices are Correct, Helpful answer.