cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 9.2.0.4 to 9.2.0.6 fails.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Here's the problem.

We have been upgrading the Oracle on our systems to 9.2.0.6 in anticipation of further upgrades this summer. We have successfully upgraded three of our five boxes. When we try to upgrade our QA system the OUI starts (with the command prompt windows) and then stops after 20 - 30 seconds with nothing else happening. When I check the Task Manager there is a process called JAVAW.EXE that is running. If we try to run the install agaoin the same thng happens. Each time a new instance of the JAVAW.EXE is started. Each time we try to run the install there is also a folder created under the users (in this case the admin user) Local Settings|Temp folder with a date and time stamp as part of the folder name. If we have not shutdown all the JAVAW.EXE proccesses when we try to remove the folders the one with a cooresponding JAVW.EXE.

We have moved the install location to other drives on the server and tried but that didn't help. I've tried running the setup from the various locations that I found a SETUP.EXE file. Everything we have tried has failed. We are not getting any error messages, log files (that I have been able to find) or any indication on what is failing other than the fact that it appears to be some kind of problem with the paths to the install files.

If someone has encountered this before then what do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance;

Gale.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry about the miss-direction on this, that was my mistake.

I use pcAnywhere to remote into the servers. The servers actually run under the SIDadm userid. I apologize for not thinking to mention that, but it is such routine for me to work that wayh that I sometime forget that I am actually logged into a remote session.

In our trying to get this to work I have come to the conclusion that it is some kind of pathing problem. I have copied the p6948480_9206_WINNT file to the local server and expanded it from there. I also ran the installation from the local hard-drive. The command window that appears contains the message that the setup is getting ready to run the installation from the setup folder it created.in the Temp folder but it appears to loose that (or can't find the Java environment. Like I have previously noted I have compared the system path variables from both the problem machine and another system that the upgrade ran on.

Gale S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim;

Thanks for the reply.

In response to your questions we are trying to upgrade the OUI to 10.1. as part of the Oracle upgrade. But that is where the install is failing, at the start of the OUI upgrade. The version current on the system is 2.2 but this is the same version that was on the other systems that we successfully upgraded.

Our Java version as reported by java -v is 1.4.2.

Just a note, and I don't know how relevant this is. When I go into the TEMP folder under the user (i.e. c:\documents and settings\gale\local settings\temp) at the folder that the install process creates I find a SETUP.EXE file in a OUI\BIN folder. When I try to run that the behavior is as described but when the failure occurs there is a dialog box stating that the Java Runtime Environment can't be found and instructs us the go to the Java web site and install Java. I have removed and re-installed the Java environment several times (J2RE versions from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0). This has no affect on the install process, it still fails as above.

I have also made sure that there were no spaces in any of the paths and I have even tried setting new paths to the Temp folders in the system variables (restoring them after trying of course). I have also compared the path variables from a working system to the QA system to make sure that the paths were in the same format (with the approrate folders for the different system.). We have also removed and re-ran the download to recreate the setup folders (sometimes with different target folders). All this has not helped correct the install issue.

I did find a thread on the Oracle Metadata forum but that thread ended with am Oracle guru advising the submitter to log a SR/TAR with Oracle. I am hoping that another SAP user has encountered this and has the solution.

Thanks for giving my your ear for a short, hope this info helps.

Gale

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you found the issue Gale.

You're running this as your own ID! (c:\documents and settings\gale\local settings\temp)

You really should be running this as <SID>adm to keep everything on the level.

Remember, if this is a typical windows SAP installation, the JAVA_HOME env variable exists only for the SIDadm user. Not for all users, including yours.

Possibly, if you really want to run this as your own ID (not recommended), check your environment with 'set' from a command window. See if you have a JAVA_HOME. Otherwise, you'll need to set it for the session.

Alternativly, I'd really recommend running this as SIDadm since this user is assigned to all of the dba groups and admin privilages to the server.

Let me know if this works for you.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gale,

What OUI version are you using? Did you update the OUI here first as well - I think it should goto 10.

Also, what version of Java are you using here - 1.3, 1.4? See what the results of "java -v" give you from a command prompt.

Thanks,

Tim